Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

If I made the mistake of assuming that the music was something I liked a lot, how could I not like the music.

In regard to how different Cuber sounded from "Pepper Adams", someone else will have to decide that, I'm not qualified.

Call it "improvising" or what you like, but when someone mistakes it for the original, I call it imitating.

So many jazz artists I've known were like "shooting stars", they came on brilliant and fast but didn't last. Although their very sketchy bios can be found in "Wikipedia", I don't have anything to add in regard to their personal life.

While they could do flat out unbelievable things on their instruments of choice, those things aren't recorded. While what is recorded is very good, it doesn't compare to what we fans witnessed live before they died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORyNSnnXMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORyNSnnXMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdqwiD5_fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkag9AKgbA

They could make fire and smoke come out of an organ; if only they had lasted, you would have the opportunity to hear what I heard. What do you think about what I've presented?

o10, I have a somewhat parallel perspective as you, but for slightly different reasons.

I too hold a strong preference for the "classic" artists from the '50s and '60s.  That's not to say the Young Lions have nothing to contribute or haven't recorded anything worth listening to.  For me it becomes a choice between time spent listening to musicians/albums I know I enjoy and delight in hearing again compared to time exploring new artists that I may or may not like.

All this is due to my age and the admission I don't likely have that many years left.  I came to this realization recently responding to an audio buddy about a potential upgrade to one of my components.  It is simply not worth the time, effort, and expense any longer chasing my tail with upgrades.  I'd rather spend my time listening to music I love.  And if I've heard that music 100 times, it doesn't matter since I choose to go back 99 times after initial hearing and obviously it brings me pleasure.

Anyway, if I didn't already have a huge library of LPs and a lesser number of CDs to pick from I might feel differently.  But I'm not likely to be able to listen again to everything I already own, so why worry about finding more?

Your motivation may be health, mine is age.  Let us hope we are both still able to continue on for some time yet.  Peace brother.

I really enjoyed your post Pryso. Just before I responded, I was going through old LP's denoting which were best to record. I concur with your entire post, that's because I'm enjoying these records now more than ever; it's because I can clearly hear and appreciate each sideman.

Good health is a tremendous blessing, spend time doing what you enjoy most; listening to the best music ever. I'll enjoy my evening even more after reading your post.