Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

*****we've been down this avenue before, they complain about the sociologist and the historian, so we give them the floor; now where are they?*****

He said "amateur" sociologist and historians'.   I just assumed he was talking about The Frogman.   Certainly not us.

Cheers

Just some friendly food for thought: I think it would be most positive and productive if ego and defensiveness would not so completely trump a willingness to at least consider the possibility that there is something new to learn; especially in the face of so much evidence to support the opposing point of view. As an alternative, how about presenting evidence as a rebuttal; or, comments re why it is ok to misrepresent an important and fundamental aspect of what the thread is about to be begin with? If none of that is possible for any reason, how about simply keeping the dialogue going forward free of sarcasm? In other words....reasonable and mature and just moving on.

Just food for thought. Regards.

@orpheus10 :

You pick tunes from one of the most highly regarded Jazz recordings ever(abstract truth), and then one of Morgan's best performances from one of his Best recordings(The Cooker), so there is not much to say except it be good.

The Messenger clip was used as a theme for a French movie.   I think I saw that movie while working in Atlanta.   I used to frequent the 'Preach Tree Art Theater'.   Mainly to get a better look at folks like  Bridget Bardot.   Otherwise, hated French movies, and anything associated with them.   But this is Blakey.   I did see 'Alfie' there.   Great movie and theme song.

The Mingus cut, is from a  CD by 'Mingus big Band', not Mingus himself.   That influences what I think of it.   Again good Jazz.   Certainly not noise.   But not 'genius at work'.

The Frogman will have to tell us why we really like this music.

I thought Moanin' and Tunisia were better than the originals.   Which makes sense. Covers should be better, otherwise, why do them.

Cheers

Frogman, you can keep your food for thought; I was speaking of thje cuts I presented that were not commented on.

The last 3 cut had "Pepper Adams" in common. Those of us who heard the music heard Pepper Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyOlc8BaR0A

This is Pepper Adams for sure.