Moving on from Parasound A21 (maybe?)

I'm currently using an A21 amp to power my Focal 1028 BE speakers and I don't quite feel the love anymore with my music. My system is modest, all solid state, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've been exploring stereo amps ($6K is the limit), but don't know how much of an improvement I can make. A used Pass Labs X250.8 would be ideal if it wouldn't double as a space heater (operating temp is way too high), so I'm left dabbling with the unknown. The new Bryston 4B cubed has caught my eye, but it's too new to find any critical owner reviews. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas on a possible direction to take, if any, that would musically be a step up from my A21. Beyond my Focals, my system consists of: Simaudio Moon Neo 310LP phono preamp, Avid Diva II SP TT with SME 309 tonearm, AT-ART 9 MC cartridge, Bryston BCD-3 CD player, Parasound JC 2 BP preamp, and all of my ICs are Silver Resolution from Signal Cable (XLR wherever possible).
professorsvsu
vad58
You didn't offend me at all. When you used the word "dull", I thought it was the best possible word to describe my experience. I wish I would have thought of it first.
@professorsvsu,
IF the A21 sounds dull with the BE tweeter in the Focal 1028, something might be not matching in your systems. The A21 is anything but dull. I used to have the Signal Cables with A21. But when I moved up to the Clear Day audio, things improved so much. Mind you, I do use a dual mono TVC and not a active line stage. So things are "more pure".
I think that dull you guys are referring too, is probably the "slightly warm" character of this amp. Because if it was any brighter in my current configuration, I would not be listening to my new loudspeakers for more than an hour. The Pass X250.8 would be a great upgrade though, at a price. Once you get that amp, you should eventually go with a Pass pre-amp like the X-10/20. It would be a great match. I have heard that combo, but in a completely different system.

professorsvsu,

Edit:  Looks like you may already be using XLRs here, so apologies for first paragraph below...

I’ve owned the A21 for ~5-yrs and I do enjoy it. I have found a significant difference in sound quality by running balanced interconnects to the amp. To my ears it sounds better...So, if you are using SE interconnects and have the means to try XLRs, it might really be worth the time/effort!! I vaguely recall reading the same, IIRC both from pro-reviewer(s) and in a forum or two...though I can’t recall which ones or I’d include any links (sorry). FWIW, the owners manual suggests XLR, too.

Sorry for ’longwind’ above, ESPECIALLY if you are already using XLRs.

I’ve also experienced aftermarket fuses altering the sound quality for less cash outlay than a new amp (I’ve only changed the external one on the A21 - though I have done it on numerous other components) - yielded improvements to my ears, but I’m not gonna try to tell you that it would be as good as a new/improved amp...but it has helped me make it through a time or two where I was weighing a component upgrade due to a lack of being "enthralled" with the sound of my music.

Regardless, I’m sure the Bryston will/would be a step up in SQ. Good luck with your quest!! I’m interested to read what you ultimately decide.

Best,

Doug