Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I think Wynton is taking a page out of the Blakey play book.  Showcase and teach the young.   Love it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjbalv7tGsA

Cheers

Rok, you make some of the 'dog- gonest' statements; how can Wynton Marsalis have any thing to do with the future of jazz, when everything he does is in the past? Is the future of jazz in the past?

Explain where doom and gloom come in? I'm waiting.
@orpheus10 

You seem to think of Jazz as some passing fad.  There is no past, as Ellington said, there is good music and the other kind.

A hundred years from now, groups will still be playing Bach, Mozart etc...   and Ellington, Mingus etc... also.

There is a reason it's called 'Classic'.   Hell, even Motown will be with us for ages.  Only the fluff gets blown away by the winds of time.

Get in the game.   You supposed to be the OP!!

You should spend more time in America with real Jazz, and less in places like Peru with Andean post post bebop.   Just a thought.

Cheers
Thanks for the clips, O-10.  Nice Billie.  You may find this interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou

From that article:

*** Today, Vodou is practiced not only by Haitians but by Americans and people of many other nations who have been exposed to Haitian culture. Haitian creole forms of Vodou exist in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Cuba,[48] some of the outer islands of the Bahamas, the United States, and other places to which Haitians have immigrated. There has been a re-emergence of the Vodun traditions in the United States, maintaining the same ritual and cosmological elements as in West Africa. ***
Haiti has no culture.   The word 'Culture' has to be the most misused word in the history of man.

Cheers

I want to see a show of hands,  how many of you has ever met a person that practiced VooDoo as a religion?  Raise your hands.   My cousin, Marie LaVeau, does not count.   Next question.

Cheers