Nuprime vs preamp rebuild.

Had previously queried community re value of upgrading dac.  In brief I have an AR SP-3 preamp, Prima Luna HP amp, Magnepan 1.7 speakers.  The dac is from HRT and is (I believe) their original model.  Good quality interconnects and power cord.  Up to this point, have been using Spotify Premium as streaming source.  One respondent recommended getting the SP-3 up to speed.  Last service is long ago, though usage has been light.  The price of a rebuild done by AR is about 3K, all costs considered.  Another respondent advised purchasing a Nuprime 10 which would cover both the preamp and dac issues.  Would very much appreciate any thoughts re these options.  Thanks
jameslsimons
Thanks for the above.  Given the age of my SP-3, the Nuprime preamp may do just as well, perhaps better, and of course the dac upgrade should be substantial.
I actually went from the HRT to the Halide DAC to the Nuprime. Each jump was very positive. I think as far as the DAC goes you will be impressed. Try to find a dealer that offers a return policy. 
Keep the SP3! It is a TRUE classic and worth some restoration! But don't send it to Audio Research - they will charge way too much! Even in its present state it can compete with today's top preamps! Just changing the power supply caps and adding a set of NOS tubes will be worthwhile! I own an SP6 (1976) - and speak from experience! 
Dear roberjerman—thank you very much.  I was aware of the status of the SP-3 and had no intention of parting with it.  I spoke with AR directly and got the name of a certified technician in my area whom they highly recommended.  Spoke with the latter who told me that while he would love to have my business, he felt I would get more for my money working with AR directly.  In a full rebuild, AR installs a new circuit board (I think that’s the term) which no one else can provide, and I came away with the impression that this was an important difference.  I actually never requested an estimate from the local technician what his services (parts included) might cost.  I was thinking that I would set the SP3 aside and that at some point in the future I would proceed with the full rebuild.   This leaves me with two questions for you or anyone else who cares to comment.  How do you think the preamp function of the Nuprime would compare with that of the SP-3?  Is there a big drop off or is the the difference a more modest one?  I still plan to upgrade the dac with budget around $1K.  Any recommendations?   Thanks in advance to you or anyone else who cares to comment!
I'll just reiterate that I've not heard the AR not have I ever had an AR in my system. Prior to owning the nuprime I had a belles 22a tube Preamp with the Halide dac. I also spin vinyl so the analog line pre function was very important to me. When I bought the nuprime it was going to have to be 1) an improvement in DAC quality... it was 2) and be at least the equal of the belles overall in sound quality... it was and though I didn't do a lot of a/b comparisons I think it was better. 

Does es that mean it's better than your AR? No. It does however mean that it's no slouch, at least to my ears.