Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
But I have heard good non R2R beat meh R2R dacs. It’s how you use it

That's why I stipulated, " you need to go to properly implemented R2R Multibit based dacs"

Cheers George
You can think of the Delta-Sigma as an engine that creates the R2R function repetitively
Delta Sigma creates a "facsimile" of Redbook PCM it can never be as bit perfect as properly implemented R2R Multibit.
And isn’t that what this thread is all about??? "Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD"

Cheers George
All this “facsimile” and “guessing” is just marketing BS at best and misleading nonsense at worst. There is no guessing. Redbook defines the signal up to 22KHz perfectly and there is no guess when you oversample. In fact the oversample file contains only as much information and all the information as in the original file and no more as it adds nothing to the signal. It also contains the entire data in the Redbook file - nothing has been thrown out at all (as would happen in a facsimile).

The bits are being converted to analog. It is the accuracy of this entire conversion that is important and NOT the specific steps in the methodology. Manufacturers want you to believe that their specific methodology is better by appealing to the old school notion that doing things in a simple archaic fashion without technology is best. If this logic were correct we would still be using an abacus or slide rule.

Shadorne,
I agree with the marketing vocabulary comment as this is coming from proponents of the R2R approach. To be fair this bias marketing hype can be applied to either side on some occasions. 

George regarding Bricasti versus Total DAC I accept you heard what you heard in that system under those particular circumstances. I can state that I heard a direct comparison between the two Dacs in JWM's system and both components were well broken in. Absolare Signature preamplifier,  Krell 600 watt mono blocks  and Rockport Altair speakers. 

In the listening comparison the Bricasti SE  was the better sounding presentation in my opinion. Both were using ethernet connectivity.  My opinion is no more or less valid than yours. We are both just reflecting on our own experiences with 2 highly regarded DACs. 
Charles 
In fact the oversample file contains only as much information and all the information as in the original file and no more as it adds nothing to the signal. It also contains the entire data in the Redbook file - nothing has been thrown out at all (as would happen in a facsimile).

This is yet another statement (on their faqs page) from Schiit:

"We can’t get over the fact that delta-sigma DACs throw away all the original samples".

And in this context they are meaning all delta-sigma, irrespective of implementation. 

So am I to be led to believe by those on the forum that the statement is false? And, if there is even an iota of truth in that statement, wouldn't that mean that my understanding - that delta-sigma is "lossy" - is true?