Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
frog, the first time I saw the great flick, "Jazz on a Summer's Day" I became an instant fan of Anita.  For me that remains possibly the best jazz vocal performance I've heard.  Too bad it was so brief.  She truly was a jazz singer, unlike Julie in my opinion as mentioned previously.  Still, like chocolate and vanilla, there are reasons to enjoy both. ;^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcMmVGrzpy8

Also I agree about Krall.  She is OK, but not nearly worth the popularity she seems to have obtained.  I can only attribute that to so many younger people not having been exposed to the many great jazz vocalists we've been discussing here.  Of course it doesn't hurt that she is easy on the eyes -- if that is not too politically incorrect to state.
Today's pleasant Surprise:
Received this yesterday.
Rene Marie -- VOICE OF MY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5KwTfqmZg

Very unusual concept in  this day and age.  An album, expressing love for this country.  She does take a small shot of the purple stuff in the liner notes, but all in all, a breath of freshness and nicely done.

I think I love this woman.

Also have 'Sounds Of Red'.   Will report later.

Cheers
pryso, shame how careful one has to be with what is said about a woman, and just about anything, these days. Oh, hell.....yeah, easy on the eyes....kinda; she has skinny legs.

rok, after going gaga over “The Sound Of Red” and playing it constantly several months back when I posted it here, my wife bought me tickets to see Renee Marie at The Jazz Standard in NYC for my birthday. Fantastic show! During the break my wife and I wandered over towards the bar near which she had a small table in the corner with her CDs for sale; none of which I had heard except for “TSOR”. My wife picked one out and had her sign it; it was “The Voice Of My Beautiful Country”. We chit chatted for a minute. The woman has THE THING in spades. You know, that hard to describe quality that makes a woman beautiful and very sexy and which has little to do with her looks. Style and attitude. Great singer.

Pryso, that must have been one of Anita's best performances; not only was it what she wore, that black and white outfit with the fringed hat, but her style was too jazzy for words on that day, an unforgettable Summer day.