Townshend Rock, or Sota... Classical music

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum, but I've been reading lots of extremely informative and interesting things here since a long time.

I'd like to ask a little advice... Since I'm maybe buying my first "serious" turntable. My priorities are clean and accurate reproduction, pitch stability, good detial retrieval (I listen almost only to classical music, and quite a lot of piano recordings).

I have following options:
- Townshend Rock Mk3 with Rega RB300 (maybe not in perfect condition, the clamp and the acryl platter are not perfectly even and there is always some up and down movement of cartridge and tonearm) - around 700 $
- Sota Star (with Papst DC motor) with Sumiko FT-3 tonearm, completely revised by a very experienced guy, vacuum and everything - around 1400 $
- Townshend Rock Reference with Excalibur tonearm, perfect - around 3000 $

The Rock Reference is a bit out of budget, but I may stretch to that. At the same time I'm really interested in the Sota with vacuum, since most of my records are bought second hand and... Well, I see that even the clamp of the Reference doesn't manage to make then really flat on the platter.

Or shall I go for a cheaper Japanese direct drive, like a Kenwood KD-990 or so?

Now I'm listening with a Beogram 8000 (Soundmith cart), a Technics SL-7, a Dual 721 - none of them really satisfying, expecially with piano or big, complex orchestral music. String quartets sound nice on the Beogram...

I know that everything depends also on cartridge and rest of the system - I'm keeping aroung 1000 $ for a new cart, and the rest of the system will come later, but quite soon.

Thanks for your advice!

Marco
mscili
Rock Reference. In a few years' time, you won't notice the extra expendature and you'll have a great turntable. It will even make a cheaper cartridge sound good so you can save there until you are ready. I heard one with ATC speakers and EICO HF60 amps and it was incredible. We played DSOTM by Pink Floyd and the blackness and bass articulation were outstanding.
Thanks for the extra comment on the Rock Reference.
Somehow a few people (not only here) pointed me to the Sota "for classical music". I wonder if there may be any aspect in the performance of the Rock Reference which may make it more appropriate for other kinds of music than for classical - I've listened to it with symphonic repertoire and it was really good, but I don't know what the Sota would do different...
FWIW, I've run my Sota Sapphire non-vacuum table since I bought it new back when. It has the external power supply. After listening to a number of other tables over the years, I haven't heard anything that would make me "upgrade" from it. My Graham arm was a revelation as was the DV XXII Mk 2. The rig performs flawlessly on jazz, rock and classical. Dead silent background. Quiet enough that even though I had an opportunity to buy a Star, the very idea of any ambient noise introduced by the vacuum pump stopped me in my tracks.

It's always best if you can do an audition and so come to your own conclusions, but that's my two cents. Good luck & happy listening either way!
Thanks again to everyone. One more question: I didn't notice before that the Townshend Excalibur tonearm in the first version allows only one position of the cartridge in the headshell - no possibility of twisting it or moving it forward or backwards (just two simple holes...). How do you align different cartridges on such a headshell? You move the armboard all together? Or you just stick to those carts, that work with that fixed geometry?
It's kind of strange...
I would imagine it is aligned by design while mounted in the Rock. It is a little odd for sure.