What amp should be used with merlin vsm's?

Maybe merlin owners can help me with this, I am looking for an amp to go with my merlins. Should I get a belles 150a hotrod or sim w5 or a b&k st140. Are there any other amps I should look at? Which of these can bring me the best sound? I would like to get joule's vzn100 but am not financially ready, but if there is a tube amp that costs less- something under $3500 used, I would consider it.
pedrillo
The previous posts are very good advice.Anyway,if you have ELITE solid state driving some tubes in the pre or more importantly,the phono stage you should enjoy superb sound,run cooler,have better bass control and not have to deal with tube replacements.Not to say that you will not get fab. performance from a good tube amp,but the REALLY GOOD solid state amps are,as of now,shockingly good.Good luck,sounds like you are on your way to a wonderful set-up.
Just thought I should mention that after using sim audio w-5 for a year and a half, this amp brings out everything I want from this speaker. I should also mention that I had no idea how good these speakers were until I tweeked my analog set-up to where it's at now. I thought these speakers were great, but little did I know they are much better than I had expected. For those searching for a first rate speaker I most highly recommend the vsm's. Imho I didn't hear anything at the expo (nyc's 2007) that beat my sound , maybe equalled it but not beat it. These are keepers, just keep in mind, get the source right, before upgrading downstream electronics. My pre by the way is sim p-5 and my tt is vpi tweeked to death with leadshot everywhere. Phono is e.a.r. 834p modified and lead shot installed for dampening arm is graham 2.2. with leadshot sitting there too. I know I know I drove the price of lead shot up. cartidge sumiko blackbird. Room treatment all over the place, speakers still suspended from ceiling driven by sim w-5 , only other speaker is a martin logan sub hardly needed, even had to lower the subs output setting to 30 hz. and below, thats how good the merlins are.
Hi.

In Norway, there are quite a few VSM owners, and many of them are getting very good results with GRAAF GM-20 OTL. I have heard this combo a lot, and in a small/midsize room it is a really good match IMO. The amp is rated 20W, but I know it is measured to 28W. It is a beautiful Italian piece of art, and you should be able to find it for about 2-2.5K. If you find a 240V unit, it is easy to convert it to 110V. The input transformer has taps for all currents, but you will need some skills, or have someone do it for you. It also should be said that this amp is like a race car, and needs to be treated like one.
Theo
On the subject of low powered OTL amps I used a Transcendent T8 25 watt OTL and it worked great with the VSM but ultimately it didn't have quite enough juice for my room. For a small space it would be a consideration as it is well within your budget. I bought it on a recommendation by Bobby and was quite happy until...... I heard a Berning ZH270 which has more power and mid bass energy along with SS bass definition. It is a great full bandwidth amp, very extended highs as well. This amp is the last word in transparency. The Joules are glorious with the VSM, well engineered but run warm and take up quit a bit of space. Maybe a consideration maybe not but you would never be unhappy with the magic they make with the VSM.

I would consider a used Berning in lieu of any ss amp as it offers very long tube life and low operating temp. 100 amps idle 300 at full power. With its combination of tube strengths and SS dependability it is tough to beat.

I highly recommend you call Bobby and discuss your tastes and preferences. He will steer you in the right direction with your budget in mind.
Pedrillo, we're still awaiting photos of your VSMs afloating!

No discussion of amps for the Merlins would be complete w/o a mention of the Joule Electra, Atma-Sphere and Berning OTLs. I haven't had a chance to hear the Graff or Transcendent, but would guess that they both would be good choices too.
The non-OTL Ars Sonum Philharmonia that Bobby is now importing to the US is a great match in a push pull amp.
The latest version of the speaker is reportedly a better match with many solid state amps, with Ayre and Sim coming to mind.
FWIW, I agree w/Pedrillo that the speaker continues to amaze as other improvements are made in my system. I expect this to be the case for some time! Cheers,
Spencer