Sunfire Classic Tube Pre-Amp

I have a very lightly used Sunfire Classic Tube Pre-amp (likely less than 100 hours on it, I’m the original owner and it’s been in its box for 15+).

I took it out to play with and was reminded how much I like it.

So, I’m thinking about upgrading the tubes. I don’t want to get crazy (I’d like to keep it < $250); certainly don’t want/need to spend that much if it isn’t required

My understanding is that I’ll need the following (I’m pretty sure my Thorens table is Moving Magnet, so I don’t need to upgrade the MC board):

12A7 tube (QTY = 2) for MM PHONO BOARD
6922 Tubes (QTY = 4) 1 INFRASONIC FILTER IN PHONO SECTION + CONTOUR 1 + 2 LINE BOARD).

Also need a new dac for my Tidal streaming... any advice with this also appreciated!

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

- Dave P.

PS - System includes:

Legacy-Audio Classic floorstanding speakers.
Amp currently B&K 200x2 or Legacy-Audio PowerBloc5
Thorens turn table - I inherited it, not sure of the exact model.

dkpack99
Thanks Oddio & Jond, 

Anyone else? How much is matter about matching the tubes to the pre-amp, or will the "good" tubes always be "good" with all Pre-amps?

thanks!

dave 
will the "good" tubes always be "good" with all Pre-amps?
Unfortunately, no.  OTOH, many pre-amps are very easy on small signal tubes like you have.  They may be just fine.  Regardless, you will probably experience a greater improvement in sound by putting most of your $ into a decent DAC; there have been huge improvements in that area.
you say 12a7 tubes for the phono section. is it 12at, 12ax or 12au. it makes a difference.
also what type of music do you listen to and what type of sound are you looking for. clarity, detail, bass, highs. some tubes do some of these better than others. some do all of these fairly well but there is always some trade off.
i can suggest some tubes that if you shop around and dont mind used that are within your budget
i am currently using a copland ct305 pre that uses both 6dj8 and 12ax7 and have done quite a bit of tube rolling. i also currently have legacy audio signature se speakers with a denon TT (MM cartridge). amps are rogue audio m180 tubed monos. i have also owned many other tube preamps and amplifiers that used these tube types. the following tubes are ones that in general sounded good in all of them.
for 12ax7/12au7 sylvania long black plates D or square getters almost always sound good also raytheon long shiny black plates are very good
my favorite are the 1960s mullard box plate cv4004 (these have sounded great in everything i have used them in). this is a british military version of the 12ax7 and is direct drop in replacement for the 12ax7 but they can be pricey.
for 6dj8 the best i have found for my system is the mullard 6dj8. just a good all around tube with great bass detail imaging soundstage nice highs and midrange. usually reasonably priced
followed by amperex D getter more detail and a little better 3d imaging than the mullard but less bass. can be had reasonably priced if used. similar highs to the mullard
then the telefunken 6dj8 very clean sounding tube really good midrange a little lean sounding compared to the others but still nice. reasonably priced
for clarity and detail, wonderful soundstage and highs almost any 6922. these can get pricey i love the detail of the amperex 6922
these are all tubes that you can probably pick up within your price range
as for current production tubes i have not heard any of the gold lion preamp tubes but have heard most of the other china and russian tubes. i dont like any of them compared to pretty much any vintage tube. my stereo sounded good but didnt really sound great until i started swapping out tubes.
Thanks all for the replies! 

Swampwalker, I am on the search for a Dac... possibly a Roon Ready one... I’ve been living with a Sonos Connect and Tidal... nice usability factor, so-so sound.... I had the new Oppo Sonica in the chain for a couple of days... I liked the sound, but the software was not good... abou 20% of the time it said it couldn’t play a song from my Tidal playlist... I’ve never had this issue with Sonos or Tidal from the PC or iPad. Back it went and the search continues... maybe a Oppo 203 or 205 next, I’d really like to get Roon up and running!

Dragonbutz, sounds like you know your tubes! Yes, you’re correct, the Sunfire takes 12ax7’s for the phono stage. Thanks for your advice! I’ve been researching and was leaning toward the Mullard 6dj8’s; Andy at Vintage Tube Services spoke today and he seconded your recommendation. So, I have three used & matching MULLARD 6DJ8/ECC88’s in the mail. It’s a short hop over or around Lake Michigan, so hopefully I’ll have them soon.

Righ niw I’m only changing the line and the countour tubes; I don’t really listen to that much vinyl and will decide if I want to change those out (12xa7’s and another 6922/6dj8’s) later.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and advice, I’ll let you know how things sound. Now if I can only get a Dac and Roon figures out!

Dave