Help ... Totally stuck (subwoofer topic)

Hi, folks. Hoping you can help me here. Earlier this year I got a JL Audio e110 sub for my two channel system. Using a pre/power combo - no receiver. Set up is B&W N804 speakers, BAT VK-3i preamp, and MF A300cr power amp (225 wpc). Old equipment, I know, but it sounds really good. There are two issues which I can't quite figure out.

First, I use the second output on my preamp into the line level input on the sub. I DON'T use the sub's line out into the power amp because the sound becomes very thin and unengaging. Essentially, I am running the mains full range with the sub doubling the bass. JL Audio specifically recommends that the sub's line out be connected to the power amp's inputs for a better sound. However, that's not occurring in my system. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Second, in the configuration I use, I find that turning off the internal crossover actually brings a fuller, louder sound with more detail. Am I unknowingly biamping with the sub used this way? Seems like a waste not to use the crossover, so I have no clue as to what's going on.

I am really stumped by this, and could use your collective help. Thanks.
rlb61
Why you want to run your precious signal to mains through the sub? No wonder the sound becomes thin and unengaging. The shorter the signal path the better the sound. I have F112 and run everything direct from preamp outputs.

If you don`t use standalone crossover then you must use the subs internal crossover. Otherwise you can damage your sub. Check how low your speakers play and cross the sub from somewhere around 40Hz or so.

Barry from Soundoctor has a great and thorough setup guide with phases, timing, everything.

Check this out:
http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/index.htm

Merry Christmas!
I also use the JL e110 for my 2 channel rig, an SA Moon 600i integrated with Focal L&R Utopia Be loudspeakers. Speakers are run full range out of amp, using set of preamp outs to the e110.

The speakers have a -3dB at 45hz rating and I have found my setup to sound best with the Focal rear ports plugged and the e110 crossover set somewhere between 35 and 40hz.

I agree with plutos about the Soundoctor setup guide, I have the cd and all paperwork from him and it is definitely a huge plus for system setup.

Hope this helps, it may take some time but once everything is dialed in I think you'll find the e110 will be a nice addition to your system.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Gary

in the configuration I use, I find that turning off the internal crossover actually brings a fuller, louder sound with more detail. Am I unknowingly biamping with the sub used this way? Seems like a waste not to use the crossover, so I have no clue as to what’s going on.
According to the E110 specification, the upper frequency response are 120Hz-3dB and 165Hz-10dB, so look like you prefer a much higher low pass crossover point for the subwoofer!
It could be due to your room (maybe a dip @80Hz or 100Hz), speaker/subwoofer placement, listening position, the electronics or maybe your listening preferences!
Maybe you can get a velodyne sms-1 or a USB measurement microphone with REW software to investigate further.