20 Year Old Amplifiers compared to 2017

Just a random thought, but I’m curious just how well the state of the art solid-state amplifiers from 20 years ago compare to some of today’s better offerings. For example, what does a pair of Mark Levinson 33Hs or a Krell FPB 600 sound like if compared to the latest offerings from Pass Labs or Ayre Acoustics?
imgoodwithtools
Why is it that I never read anything about the conrad johnson premier 50  tube amps or the Classic se with Phono  preamps ?? I just had mine rebuilt  and upgrade the latests components?   Does anyone  out there like Conrad Johnson amp and preamps? and who do they compare with today's stuff??? I had mine since the 1980's.  Using  Vandersteen 2ce  Signature Speakers... By the way what Cable should I be using anyway??? Yea I am an old timer out of touch...lol
Amplifier technology reached maturity in the seventies, when output transformers were abandoned in solid state amps. Ever since, well designed amplifiers used within their specifications have exceeded human hearing acuity.
Agree. That's why I use 37-year-old amp and receiver. I've participated in blind tests. They caused me to ignore all subjective opinions. That's why I always say "If you didn't hear it blind, you didn't hear it."
jssmith
That's why I always say "If you didn't hear it blind, you didn't hear it."
That's silly. I hear my system make lovely sounds quite frequently, yet I almost never listen to it blind.

I used my mid-seventies Crown DC300a’s and DC150a’s well into the early 2000’s - typically bi-amping - sometimes with stacked cabinets like larger Advents and using an out-board xover. I used them with a wide variety of pre-amps from Threshold FET 2 and FET 10 to Mac tube. Probably not sonically wonderful but, I always loved their sheer power and ability to brush-off transient high current needs. In the late 90’s I had the 300’s re-capped and new output devices installed. I just pulled 2 pairs of Advents out of storage and began using them as the fronts in my surround system (Yamaha RX-V3800) and was thinking "I sure wish I still had those Crowns" But then, I'm a sucker for nostalgia.