Lowering the noise floor

I am coming to the conclusion that success in home audio reproduction is largely about lowering the noise floor. There are so many different types of “noise”, from so many different sources, that we only really “hear” by their absence.

Those components, cables, accessories and tweaks that SUCCEED at lowering the noise floor, can, and do, dramatically increase sound quality. Sometimes the type of “noise” dealt with is controversial, or not (yet) widely recognized as being a problem. Sometimes the explanation of how a product works is dubious. Sometimes the way it is marketed reeks of “snake oil”. Sometimes the reviews singing its praises go over the top. While these things will certainly put off some prospective purchasers, they do not negate the audible results that are there for anyone open to hearing them.
tommylion
I agree with the goal of reducing background noise to allow your system to be at its best. I tried a DSP product last month but rejected it for several reasons. One, it significantly increased the noise floor hum. This might have been related to the fact that my preamp output voltage was over the recommended input limit of the DSP. I’m not blaming the DSP per se, just that it was not suitable for my system.

My goal of late is to minimize the ringing in the room in the low frequency range. I put this in the same category as noise because the music signal is fighting to be heard thru this unwanted sound overhang. To the extent I’m able to improve the decay time, the music becomes clearer. And it’s amazing how changing the location of a minor piece of furniture (basket full of magazines) alters the decay rate. I would not have believed it if I hadn’t seen the waterfall measurements.

I am going off topic now, but that level incompatibility could have been cured with a very simple set of inline attenuators.
And I fully agree with your desire to reduce room modes, even if I would not classify them as noise but as a deviation from the ideal frequency response. I have been very succesful with an Antimode 8033 room eq.

"I have one word. Cryogenics. Cryo everything! Everything in the signal path and everything not in the signal path. "

I sure hope geoffkait is right about the cryogenics treatment on everything; I've got an appointment tomorrow to have my entire body cryogenically treated.  Our ears and brains are in the signal path, right?

The doctors warned me that my entire body will become very brittle after the treatment, like fine crystal.
  They said a high, sustained tone at just the right resonant frequency or even being nudged or bumped could cause me to shatter into 1,000 pieces.  
     I'm sure everyone's in agreement that these risks are definitely worth taking for a bit better system sound, right?
    My wife's trying to talk me out of it but our commitment to better sound trumps any silly marital vows, right?
   Okay, all systems  are a go for the treatment unless geoffkait tells me before 2 pm that he may have exaggerated just a scooch on this cryo stuff. since the cryo treatment  is non-reversible.

Wish me luck,
    Tim
also, look at the parts of the chain that are most susceptible to noise causing SQ decrements

electrical noise isn't just something you hear on super quiet passages, it can also reduce spatial and transient aspects of sound reproduction

- whether it is doing that in your system is hard to determine - a star-quad style DC power cable is cheap ($10 to $50, DIY vs. bought); an LPS can cost a lot more but might be worthwhile

eliminating ground loops and providing galv. isolation may cost up to $100

wasting huge amounts of money on snake oil AC power cords when you SHOULD get an isolation transformer for $300 to $700 is idiocy
@noble100, wishing you great success on your upcoming procedure and please keep us posted.