I need to buy a complete system.

I am in the market for a complete stereo system.  I plan on using a DAC, with music on a Mac Mini.  I had a VTL pre-amp, Moon amp and B&W 802 speakers.  I like the idea of tubes and since I will need a complete system the difficulty of driving the speakers are not there, as I will need speakers as well.  The room that it will be placed in is a large open room with 30 foot ceilings and lots of glass windows, with tile floor only 1 area rug.  Suggestions??
mhsmith
I agree that the Audiokinesis Swarm system is a very interesting option. If I were living in the US I would certainly give it a very hard look, as it addresses precisely the biggest issue with the reproduction of low frequencies.
However, I am sure digital room equalization such as by the DSpeaker Antimode 8033 or their forthcoming X4 could add additional benefits.
As for room treatments, I think it is important to distinguish between two fundamentally different kinds. The first is to deal with room modes below the Schroeder frequency, and involves big and inelegant bass traps. The second is to deal with chaotic reflections above the Schroeder frequency and involves damping material of various kinds, rugs, book cases etc.
The Swarm system addresses the first kind, below the Schroeder frequency, but not the second. Given the hard floor of the OP's house, he may still have to do something about that.
Hi willemj,

Good points, I agree with everything you said.  Since installing a Swarm 4 sub solution in my system, I've found exactly what you stated to be true:  the Swarm takes care of the bass in the room without the need for large bass room treatments. I haven't found a need for room equalization or dsp but will reserve judgement on whether that may be of even further benefit until I give it a try.  And, true, that just leaves the more predictable mid-range and treble frequencies above the Shroeder frequency to get right in the room via speaker positioning and strategic room treatments.
     I now consider system installation as a 2-step process; 1st getting the bass right in the room and then getting everything above the bass right in the room.  
    I think mhsmith would find this approach very suitable in his large room, as well.

Thanks,
  Tim
I would give Bob Crites in Little Rock a call.  Have him plug you in, as it were, to "local" activities, groups and guys.  I do not believe the Klipschorns will work in your room, but I could be wrong.  Electrostatic Solutions in KC  has vast experience with magneplanars and other electrostatics. Subwoofers will be needed for your room, as will some wall/corner treatments.  A pair of HSU research subs should work well.  Wife Approval Factor on treatment for high frequency reflections. 

At the Capital Audio Show last month, speakers that were well received included Volti Quad 5, Tekton, and both the Quad-HiFi electrostatics and their box speakers.
Keep in mind that any speaker you look at will be promoted as performing at a level of speakers 2-3x the price.  ;) Of course, whether you like that particular speaker's sound is another matter altogether.