How high to mount my TV monitor?

Familiar story. New (to me) home, family room has a fireplace, as does living room. The height, to the top of the mantle is 53" and 55" respectively. Viewing distance will be 10'-12'.Is it advisable to mount a flat screen this high? Will my neck be permanently cocked upward, as if I am constantly looking for Superman? Any guidance is very, very appreciated.
Marty
128x128viridian
If you're going to mount something, I suggest you choose something other than your TV monitor (ha ha)...
I have two 50" plasmas mounted in different rooms. Their both hung as if they were pictures. Center point of the screen is exactly eye level(standing up) So when your sitting down you do look up. It has never been uncomfortable for me or anyone else who has watched TV at my house. I have alot of sports parties and have asked my freinds if it is uncomfortable-the answer is always "its perfect. A plasma also has an aestetic value when hanging on a wall. I really think they look awful when hung to low(no pun) One more suggestion- Before I hung my first plasma,I made a template out of cardboard to the exact dimension of my panel. I then used a finish nail to hang it at different heights. This gives you a better perspective of what it will look like-standing and sitting.
In the early days of computers, I developed the symptoms of a pinched nerve, Exhaustive and painful tests failed to reveal the source. But then I read a tech study by IBM labs, in which they evaluated viewing height: Gaze should be no more than horizontal, peferably slight down. I moved my monitor down from the shelf and the pinched nerve symptoms never returned.

When I looked at Telemarc's setup, my thought was that he must have a very tolerant wife. That may work for him, but i wouldn't try to emulate it. I'd aim for the bottom of the monitor to be 18" - 24" off the floor, 30" (standard table/desk height) at the max only if you need that height for some reason. I think Krelldog is talking interior decoration -- you can walk around the room while listening to Pictures at an Exhibition -- not functionality.

db
Post removed