Best Integrated, period.

Has anyone compared, Gryphon Diablo, Gamut Di150, Vitus SS101, Krell FBI, APL UA-S1 Jeff Rowland Continuum 500? Please add what you found to be best integrated.
perrew
Fafafion, do you need an integrated circuit when you simply add a passive attenuator? I'm not techincal, but I don't see why there any difficulty with this. Now you may or may not like a passive (many do) and prefer an active gain stage, buffering,and power regulation as it relates to the preamp section, but that is another, more difficult design challenge - no?
Mapman asked:

"Do you know if Rowland has a satisfaction guaranteed policy of any kind? Its probably determined more by the dealer, I would guess."

Actually it's a Rowland thing and personal. He's outlasted many of his dealers and doesn't want unhappy customers. Mark at Soundings has told me of Jeff doing repair on amps that were well over ten-years old and even throwing in free upgrades as part of the deal. That's not an "official" position, but represents how Jeff personally feels about these things. He truly does all the warranty work himself.

If you've got a nearby dealer, then use them. If not, call Soundings, they'll cover the gaps in US distribution and they're the top Rowland dealer in the US, but they don't aim to step on other dealers. Tell them Dave sent you. Who knows, I may get five-bucks off a cable or something. (I have no "arrangement" with Rowland or Soundings, in case anyone wonders. I paid full retail for my Continuum 500, without any hesitation).

Now that I re-read you post, you might have been talking about listening on approval or a 30-day, money-back guarantee. That's a dealer thing for sure and I don't know a dealer that provides that. If you've got a dealer nearby, then I'd expect that you could use the demo unit over a weekend maybe. (At Soundings, they had a C-500 on the floor, in a system that I knew. Hence, I was very comfortable when I plunked down my money).

Dave
Mapman, there are a couple of Continuum 500 offered on Agon. Instead of going to a retailer you may purchased one of these discounted pieces. . . they are bound to be very new. And if the C500 ended up not being your cup of tea, you can probably sell it at no loss.
Guidocorona,

Yes, I know.

In line with the topic of this thread, I believe the Rowland 500w/ch Class D integrated with phono would be the best sounding with the Ohm 5s.

I also really like that VAC Phi Beta though!

The thing is I'm pretty happy with what I have at present, so I am not inclined to jump at anything right away even though I would expect a significant improvement on several fronts. Also, I have 2 kids still to put through college....

If something in my system dies unexpectedly, I may be there sooner, dude.

Not sure if I'd go new or used in this case yet.

I think I am definitely going to try to check it out at my closest Rowland dealer when I have a chance. Unfortunately, I think it is about 60 miles away though I get in there from time to time.

If only I had no conscience....
Pubul57,

Yes, even when you add a passive attenuator,[I am sure you know that all single box CDP has a built in "preamp",}It is very difficult to do it right....