Mark Levinson 27.5 versus modern day amps

I had started a thread on the 334 but looks like the caps if not replaced is a crap shoot. However, how does the 27.5 compare to some modern day or newish amps? Do you think it would be worth it to purchase a 27.5 as they seem to be going for $1800 to $2700.  Upwards of $2200 is ridiculous in my opinion as they used to sell for $1700-$2000 a few years ago. Also what preamps mate well with ML amps? 
Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12
Hey Sam.  I did not realize this was your thread.  Congratulations on your purchase of the 27.5!   A very smart move!   Isn't it strange that such an old amp like the 27.5 beats out most of the current high end stuff?  Are you keeping the VK-55?  The VK-55 is better than all amps that I've listed but I believe the 27.5 is better than the VK-55 overall.  However, I think the VK-55 has more bloom in the lower midrange...great for female voices.  Yes, you are right about the Pass.  It is initially impressive but does not hold up in the long run due to it's brightness and hardness.
Hopefully you will keep both amps, they are both great amps.
I'm glad I finally saw a thread where someone mentions the Pass Labs amp in the way you two have.

A long-time and consistent sacred cow.  Had one once.  Tried to juggle things around it.  Ultimately could not for the life of me understand where all the adoration comes from.  A solid state amplifier for people who think they know what a tube amplifier sounds like, except they don't.  One of the easiest pieces to unload, and I couldn't have felt happier about that.  Not the worst amplifier I've tried, but a COMPLETELY overrated product
Ernie I am keeping the VK-55. It’s like the best of both worlds. Tube magic which the 55 is very romantic and the 27.5 "just sounds right". Sorry Conrad Johnson haha :) Everything about it puts a smile on my face. I feel very fortunate to have both and plan on keeping them around for quite awhile. If anything were to change it would be upgrading the VK31SE. BAT preamps seem to be a fantastic match for ML amps so I would think further up the chain could only get better but for the near future I am content. Power cords at the moment are what I am working on to achieve the tone and overall sound I am looking for. The Synergistic Black 10 gauge on both amps for not a lot of money is a great match. Thank Joe at the Cable Company for his recommendation.

As far as Pass amps the only two I have heard are the 150 and 250 and not impressed at all. So trelja I do understand the frustration. Well built and beautiful to look at but ear bleed for me also. The older Threshold Class A amps I have not had the pleasure of listening to one in my system.

It seems the new wave of amps are going digital along with built in dacs and room correction. Personally I think technology is great but there is nothing like looking at a nice beefy ass amp whether it is tube or solid state driving your speakers with authority. I’ll take a 85lb solid state or 60 lb tube amp any day of the year :) No disrespect trust me however, I am old school evidently :)

@inna, yes, I had the Pass Class A amplifier.  And, supposedly, the best sounding of the lineup