Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I think I may like the Boulder more, but I can’t tell if it’s better or just different.....with the Boulder in, it sounds like I’m in the recording studio proper, with the performers. With the Davinci 2 it sounds like I’m in the mixing room. One is cleaner, the other more full and balanced...... The Davinci 2 is mind blowingly good! So for the Boulder to be “better” is sort of boggling my mind. Is it possible? Or am I just willing it to be?   I need others to confirm since I’m on the proverbial fence.
Reading your words, it seems that for first time in your journey there may not be perfect alignment between the consensus "best" DAC and the DAC that sounds most enjoyable to you.  Obviously, both must sound fantastic but the question then becomes what you value most from your system.  

Sounds like you need more "non-music" tracks to compare these two.  Falling rain, thunder, canoe paddling in water, wind are all helpful.  I use all of these to determine accuracy as well as well-recorded percussion tracks.  You need to hear the decay of gongs etc..

Start with a good recording of Doors "Riders on the Storm".

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Agree. Others, in the same vein: Drops of water. Audience applause. Conversations. Dog barking. Etc.
........and after you have gone thought all of that, just put on a few of your favorite recordings.  Are you tapping toes or moving in your seat?  Do you forget to listen as a serious reviewer or are you just relaxed and listening for fun?  There really is something about not listening critically while listening critically.  
Agree with all. Have a panel of audiophile and seasoned industry ears joining me tomorrow. I expect a multitude of differing opinions. Lol. 

Will report.