Distance/Screen SIze Formula?

My husband and I are debating between a 50" and a 60" flat panel television for our living room. Although the room is very long , it is not very wide and we would be veiwing the televsion from aprox.12 feet from the screen. Does 60" seem like too large a screen for that distance or can we go for it?We hate the feeling of sitting in the first few rows of a movie theatre.........hence our concern. Can anyone help?
lel
I know there is a formula for this, which I disregard. I sit about 12 ft. from my 65 incher. I also have a projector . The screen comes down in front of this tv. This screen is a 92 diag.---After watching HD_DVDs or a great football game in HD---going back to my 65set----IT seems small. Hey, we're all different. Step off the distance at home--then step it off at the tv showroom---using different sizes of displays and see what is to-close---for you---not somebody's opinion.
Post removed 
I sit about 10' from my 61" plasma. Works for me, doesn't seem too large, and I'm not one of those types that sits in the front row of movie theatres either...

TVs typically don't come close to the field of view that you get in a movie theatre, which can be like 30-45 degrees or so. My 61" plasma has a viewing angle of about 25 degrees at 10 feet, if I do my math right...
[email protected],

I have seen formulas for screen size referenced in postings at www.avsforum.com. I take these as guidelines rather than gospel.

In my own case, I want an immersive, theater experience in my HT. I sit about 11' away from my TV and am in the process of replacing a 61" TV with a 71" set. The 61" set looked really big when I first got it, but over time it shrank! Figuratively speaking of course, but I found that I got used to the 61" screen size and eventually wanted a larger TV.

I haven't set up the 71" set yet (it just arrived yesterday), but in no way did I feel the 61" set viewed at 11' was anything like the first 2 rows of a theater. For one thing, I look directly at the screen, I don't look up like in a theater.

As an aside, I have a 50" HDTV in the bedroom. When we're lying in bed and watching the set, we're about 12' - 13' away. I find the 50" screen size more than adequate in that situation, because in the bedroom we're watching TV versus immersing ourselves in a HT audio / video environment.

Bruce
I have seen several guidelines. The SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) suggests HT installations should have a 30-degree viewing angle, but that is based on horizontal width. THX recommends 36 degrees. At 12' viewing distance, 30 degrees suggests a screen size of 88" on the diagonal. At THX recommended levels, your only choice on flat panel displays would be the new Panasonic 103" (which requires "permission" from Panasonic - they send a team of people to your site to check whether you can order it; if they say yes, you can special order one (for $50k+)). I saw one about a week ago. It's beautiful, but I decided to pass :^).

Based on those suggestions, a 60" would not be "too big." This matches my experience. The viewing angle is probably "fine", and keep in mind that if you have normal (20/20) vision, newer full-HD screens will naturally mean that you can be "closer" to your screen than non-HD screens because of the fineness of the pixels.