Sweet Vinyl Sugarcube - I Want It!!!

At the NY Audio Show this past weekend, I got to see and hear the demo of the Sweet Vinyl Sugarcube.  This PC-based stand alone unit is amazing.  Here is what it does:

1.  De-clicks vinyl - and does so completely transparently, and is user-adjustable (more or less filtering of clicks and pops). 

2.  Digitizes vinyl - MP3 through 24/192 resolution.

3.  Locates metadata for LPs being played/digitized, including cover art

4.  Inserts track divisions based on the metadata (wow!).

5.  Compensates for non-RIAA recordings

6.  Plug in apps will do even more, like reducing groove noise.

It inserts in a line-level loop or between your phono preamp and preamp.  It has digital (S/PDIF and USB) outputs as well as analog outputs.

Projected retail is $2500, and they plan a kickstarter campaign soon.

If you spend time digitizing vinyl, this thing is nothing short of a miracle.  I want one so badly I can taste it.

(I am not associated with Sweet Vinyl in any way.)

bondmanp
Bondman, Your response speaks to my question but does not answer it.  I agree that the SC2 ought to blow away the Marantz for recording purposes, which is precisely why I asked why you were of a mind to record on both simultaneously, using a Y-adapter.  Also, be careful doing that.  The SC2 will "look back" to both the Marantz input and the signal source output and see their impedances in parallel.  That can sometimes cause frequency response anomalies, depending upon the values of the two impedances "seen" by the SC2 input.

I hope you have a lot of LPs and therefore a long life ahead.

lewm - Oh, sorry. I misunderstood your question.  I don't expect to record on both devices simultaneously, but I want to keep the option in case I decide I need a CD-R of whatever I am recording.  Also, I do not yet know how the recording function on the Sugarcube will work when recording sources other than LPs.  For example, I have numerous singles to digitize, as well as material on DVD, BD, and some soundtrack music I have on my DVR.

Good point about the impedance issues.  I could use the Y cables instead to split the output of the SC-2 in order to feed the Marantz and my preamp's tape loop input.  Perhaps that would prevent that potential impedance mismatch, and still offer the ability to record a CD-R.  Although, would that have the potential to mess up the signal being fed to the Marantz and the preamp?  Ugh.

Okay, so I have not had much time to actually use my SC-2.  As a beta tester, I expected a few glitches, and there are some.  So far, the SC-2 has gotten stuck during updates and required a restart two times.  Sweetvinyl says this typically happens around 5% of the time.  The pairing of the SC-2 with my Android phone is a little tricky.  I thought I had it done, but the app is telling me to re-pair the phone with the SC-2.  Sweetvinyl says I should go through the pairing process whenever prompted by the app.  Because of this, I have not yet explored the advanced menu, but hope to do so soon.  The unit is designed to stay powered on (power switch on the rear).  So far, it has never gotten more than slightly warmer than room temperature to the touch, and that is with a plastic sheet covering my equipment rack.  Sweetvinyl can actually monitor the internal operating temperature of any SC-2 connected to the web.  That's cool, so to speak. 
I’ll have to check that out. Currently, it takes me about an extra 15-20 minutes per album to delimit tracks and process using tic removal and normalization once played and digitized. I use free Audacity software for this part.

Then I autotag using free Picard software which usually requires some minimal manual interaction to recognize teh custom digital files I’ve created usually. If Picard doesn’t work due to some one-off recording or release then its manual tagging with DBpoweramp which adds more time. Picard has Shazam like music recognition capabilities that works pretty well overall with more popular commercial sourced digital releases but not as well in general with custom music files you digitize yourself from vinyl.

Overall, I use mostly free software that does a good job and I have a process down pretty well to get things done reasonably fast.

But any product that makes things mostly automated and saves me time has value and I am interested.

Have not found anything yet that can reliably auto delimit the tracks with a file digitized from a side of a record.  Audacity has some things that try but its usually faster for me to just go in and delimit in Audacity manually .
Mapman - Sorry for my ignorance, but is "delimiting" computer-speak for track splitting?  If so, the Sugarcube cannot do this yet.  I did see it demonstrated on a prototype, and it is promised, but so far, it's not available.  When it is ready, it will be a software upgrade.  It will not split tracks after the digitizing, but on the fly, once the LP is recognized.  Sweetvinyl has been building its own LP metadata base, and claims to have over 1 million LPs in it so far.