Gryphon vs. McIntosh

I just try to get as much information as I can for my next upgrade, so I'm turning here for help from you. With a lot's of reading and also hearing some I came to the selection of a couple of very fine integrated amplifier which are in close line up for my upgrade. But as you all know that auditions are sometimes hard to get I'm also opening this with which I want to get also voice from users that have some of the components mentioned here.

My system consists from main speakers that are Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 and source mostly used is Musical Fidelity NuVista 3D CDP connected with Cardas Golden Cross ICs.

Here are the amps on the shortlist:

- McIntosh MA7000 (heared on SF Electa Amator II)
- Gryphon Atilla (not heard yet)
- Gryphon Diablo (not heard yet)
- Gryphon Tabu (a bit old but so good; I tested it on my previous system)

So here are some questions for those who maybe have a bit more experiences and chances to some of these amplifiers.

1. Did anybody hear McIntosh MA7000 and compare to any of these above mentioned amplifiers or also maybe other amplifiers that you heard during your time of selection? Why you choose MA7000 or why did you not go for it?

2. For those who have McIntosh MA7000, how do you find the equalizer controls on this fine amp? Do you use it to achieve your likeable sound or you completely disable it? I know that some will strongly support that best is not to use it, but I think that if equalizer controls are constructed the right way they can be in some circumstances also positive.

3. Did anybody audiotion new series of Gryphon amps (Diablo or Atilla) and compare it to older gryphons e.g. Gryphon Tabu? Just to tell you Gryphon Tabu went deeply under my skin when i heard it on my previous speakers, but I'm a bit scared to buy it as it is coming into ages now so you newer know what you can get if you go for the second hand.

4. If you had a chance to compare McIntosh MA7000 or also other McIntosh amps with Grpyhon please come forward with your thoughts.

What I'm looking for, full bodied sound, good control and music with guts :), absolutely should not be bright, sound can be a bit on a dark or warm side.

Many questions I know, but I sure you will make a great help to me and maybe also some other ppl who are also in the doubts where to look for more details.

thanks, del.
delfincek
Started this thread in 2012 and just found it again now. Just to tell all of you that in November 2015 I managed to find Gryphon Callisto 2200 in great condition and bought it without big hesitation. With just few words. This is it, I found my holy grail. Nothing more is needed until it lasts. I hope for long. Gryphon succeed to draw a big smile on my face for whatever I listen.

Associated equipment: Harbeth SHL5+, Musical Fidelity NuVista, Cardas Golden Cross (IC + speaker cables), DIY power cables Oyaide 079 + Tempoelectric.
You could consider replacing Cardas with something with more balance and resolution.
Yeah you might be correct Inna. I just replaced Cardas Golden Cross with my good old Nordost SuperFlatline MKII that I had in my secondary system and first things that I noticed quite strucked me. I guess I was lazy for 2 years that I did not try that even though I had Nordost always at home.

What were first things I noticed? More attack, better transients, better defined basss, also the music picture became taller with more details. Good thing about Gryphon Callisto 2200 + Harbeth SHL5+ combo I have is that Nordost did not add any brightness as I can not stand that at all. Currently I’m quite happy with this. I have a plan that I will also put in the system also some Nordost IC to see how it is with this. Also considering to buy Heimdall 2 ICs if Nordost combination will be satisfying.

p.s. I think I read some years back, maybe even here on Audiogon about experiences that Gryphon and Nordost are quite very good combo to go with.

Best regards, D.
Gryphon makes their own cables. Expensive. I read that people used various cables with Gryphons, including Purist, Echole, Jorma and others I have never heard of. Gryphon and Harbeth should get along very well.
Yeah I'm aware about the Gryphon cables too, but no opportunity that I'm able to try them. Also to get second hand is quite hard and also a gamble if you just buy directly and not hear them in the system.
Personally I had the best experience from about 7 years back when I tried friend's Gryphon Tabu on Canton Vento 807DC speakers, connected with Nordost cables (SuperFlatline speaker, Red Dawn IC). It is still a memory that I hold in my head until today. Music became alive and totally filled my living room from top to bottom and I submerged in the music bubble.

When I plugged my Gryphon Callisto and make I connection with SuperFlatlines, some of these memories become alive again. I now search for some Nordost ICs to plug it also in the system to see how far I can bring my system, which is becoming more and more enjoyable :).
Best regards, Davor.