Why do turntables sound different?

Let's consider higher-end tables that all sound excellent. Same arm/cartridge and the rest of the chain. Turntable is a seemingly simple device but apparently not quite or not at all.
What do members of the 'scientific community' think?
inna
There was a thread years ago about recordings from vinyl to half track high-end deck sounding in some respect better than the record. There were a lot of arguments from both sides. I think, tape has more fluidity and continuity, it also sounds bigger with more powerful propulsion. Few audiophiles will openly admit that their super set-ups don't have the best source existing.
I don't have any direct to disc records, but to compare you need to have both tape and record of the same recording. Someone must've done it.
So, all great turntables should sound similar, not the same - that's impossible - but very similar. Just as everything else, perhaps, except speakers ?
This weekend Avid was again playing three different turntables.
The sound system was of course constantly the same.

They used the three models Diva, Sequel and Acutus. All were
equipped with SME IV tonearms and Nagaoka MP-150 cartridges.

After that everything was identical.

And again there was a significant difference in soundstage, blackness
and resolution.
I found the KAB upgrade kits to be very educational in terms of how each upgrade impacts sound quality of the Technics.  That is why I chose a Technics SL-1210M5G as my second turntable.  I wanted to understand what affects sound quality for a turntable.

Post removed