koetsu

seeking advice as to where the sweet spot is in this line price/performance.

dancekerl
I don't have much experience with Koetsu, but I can report my RSP is breaking in VERY nicely.  I took a leap of faith and I'm very happy.  Out of the box, it sounded very similar to my previous cartridge (Clearaudio Maestro MM).  I'm about 20 hours into running in the RSP, and the richness has appeared, so has the bloom and frequency extremes.  I hear and feel the Koetsu charm and spell.
Hi James.  I too have been enjoying an RSP since last May.  I can tell you that it continues to get better!  I use a PASS XP-15 as a phono preamp at the medium gain setting and 100 Ohm loading.  To the original posters point, I don’t know if this is the sweet spot in the line, but it is hard to imagine something more correct and enjoyable than this cartridge.
How does Koetsu Black (wood body) compare with Koetsu Black Goldline (Aluminium body)? Same price in the UK, different spec, but it would interest me to know their characters if anyone can help?

Rgds,
Paul

I have owned the Black, and Black Gold Line, and as far as I remember, they both had aluminium bodies. 
That was a long time ago, almost 30 years. 
I recently heard the Black Gold Line again, and I consider it a very good cartridge. Fast, dynamic, and on the warm side.