Disappointed w/ Klipsch Heresy III. Now what?

I'd be very grateful for some help with a quandary.

I recently replaced my Ohm Walsh 1000 speakers with Heresy III speakers, running two-channel from a Rega Brio. I was pretty excited about the Heresy IIIs based on reviews — they were efficient, so my 35-watt amp would get the job done; they were supposed to have real punch in the low mid-range, so I could hear the upright bass clearly; they reportedly had excellent imaging; and best of all, they were supposed to sound great at low volumes. They are also indisputably beautiful, which was an important factor for my wife. (The Ohms are elegant, but you have to be an audio lover to see their beauty.)

I set them up, and . . . not so bad, pretty good. Especially loud. In fact the louder the better. Crank them up and they sing. But loud is not really an option with a new baby. So how do they sound quiet? They sound like the band is trapped in shoe box. Really in two shoe boxes because the L and R don't merge that well. The sound stage is tiny. All the detail is gone, the joy is gone. They are no fun at all. Music just seems like a bunch of noise.

But I want to believe! I want to make these speakers work. So I am faced with a quandary. I could:

1. Buy stands, a subwoofer and a tube amp, all of which people in various forums have recommended to improve the various failings I hear now.

2. Replace the Rega with something much more powerful and pull the Ohms out of the closet. (Suboptimal because it will make my wife sad because of the aforementioned perceived ugliness.)

3. Just start all over again. Different amp, different speakers.

I'd kind of prefer number 1. But I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff designed to solve a problem and then not have that problem solved! (And I'd also just as soon avoid getting a subwoofer.)

Final note. Positioning is an intractable nightmare. It is the one thing that I can't really change, because of how our living room is layed out. It is obviously a big problem though. The living room is a big rectangle, 18 x 40 feet, and the speakers are near the corners of the 18-foot ends, on either side of a couch. I can move them around — closer or further from the couch, closer or further from the wall. But I can't raise them above the height of the couch or move them out in front or over to another wall. That discussion went nowhere!

What should I do?

brooklynluke
You should remember that the Heresy was designed (I'm guessing reluctantly) as a small 'center channel' for Klipschorns, which were designed in the monaural era and happily ate a room corner. The stereo age was a disaster for the behemoths as many spouses were understandably opposed to having another corner taken up. But for those who were able to run two, it became apparent that the wide spacing (like yours) led to lousy stereo imaging. Klipsch was always an 'advocate' of a center channel, something no properly phased stereo setup should need, for this reason alone. Thus the little Heresy was designed to emphasize the vocal range, not to act as a budget Khorn (though that didn't stop them from eventually marketing it as such).

My Heresy III's are about 10 months old. They took a long, long time to break in. Have been very pleased with matching them up with a new Pass First Watt J2 power amp.
The limited placement options are your challenge. In my experience, for low volume listening, if you cannot play with placement, you might try dipolar or bipolar speakers. Those are more airy in a greater variety of listening positions.  Less sweet spot oriented. Problem is those need to be out from the wall.  My Maggies are wonderful low volume speakers.  But the wife never goes in that room...

Also, Roon has some DSP and room correction features you might play with.  

That said, babies make a lot of noise.  Headphones for the next 3 years, then try again.  Your utopian idea of everyone in the living room talking and you still listening to music at high fidelity is very sweet, but if that happens for 10 minutes per day you're doing better than I ever could with the family.  Best audio in my life during that period was in the car!