Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Update time!

Lumin S1 and Melco N1ZH/2 servers compared to Aurender N10. The sneak peak at the end reads that the N10 is still the champ.

Heres the skinny:

Lumin S1 - sexy, heavy, built like a fine Swiss Watch! Separate dedicated LPS built equally well. I didn’t like the extended shroud over the back plugs; but if it was living long term with me, and rarely accessed, it wouldn’t be an issue. If it’s sitting out or in a top shelf of a rack, it’s a nice touch aesthetically; otherwise it’s sort of useless. Sound wise? It’s punchy, lively and energetic. The bass is deep but lacks coherence and the midrange and treble lacked layered detail and that proper sense of instrument texture. It was listenable and not unpleasant, but didn’t convey a listening experience that conveyed me into the recording studio or concert hall. Although not Hi-Fi, it was not conducive to being lost in the music the way that other servers I have heard were. I see a tube system with a warmer tonal signature mellowing it’s flavor and making it more palatable to long term listening and a permanent home. I sold my S1. The N10 did everything better, top to bottom. Inside and out. From depth and width of soundstage, leading and trailing edges, dynamic presence, harmonic structure, layering, etc. Just better, much better. That all said, I like the Lumin software and Tidal search features better then the Aurender software. It worked. Period. Every time I turned it on it just worked. No quirks. No issues. Like the Aurender. Rock solid stable. The only 2 so far that are rock solid stable.

Melco N1ZH/2 - Not as well built as the S1 or the Aurender; think Seiko vs Vacherone Constantine or Piaget. No native software app (yet), no Roon compatibility, just upnp compatible. I used the Arcam control software App as others couldn’t find the server and DAC and make them work together. Quirky. Once I got everything to sync I was afraid to change anything. Sound wise it’s simple to sum up (and I give my friend Merrill of Merrill Audio the credit for the summary) - it doesn’t do anything wrong. It’s not offensive. It’s presentation is proper, staging is enjoyable and overall sense of music and aire is correct; it’s just missing information. It simply doesn’t extract it all; or my system is SO resolving I can hear it more easily. It’s not a noise floor thing (or maybe it is). In El Tren Del Quinto, there is a hollow echo clearly evident in the room on the N10 that gives the room presence and realism; it’s not sound really, it’s the hollow echo of an open church when no sound is happening. The N10 captures this. The Melco misses it. It’s a terrific product for its cost, and it’s doesn’t need to apologize for all the things it does right. But i don’t think it knows what it doesn’t do; because it doesn’t hear what it’s missing. As a required caveat, I have to say that the Melco offers a feature that will eventually be offered on every server- a direct Ethernet out specifically designed to plug directly into an Ethernet input DAC without running through a switch. I would imagine this would be its best output, and is probably the best digital path from server to DAC other then I2S. I don’t have a DAC with an Ethernet out. I’d love to compare the USB out to that dedicated Ethernet output. THAT would be a great comparison and very helpful for everyone here.

That is all currrntly. So the N10 is still here.

Next up, I believe, is the Memory Player, and the Baetis if I can find time to get Dave over here with it. The mighty Boulder will be coming after RMAF!! Can’t wait for that!!!

Take care all.
Before final deceision between Adagio and Pavane level 1 I put it directly to my Manley Shrimp preamp. And finally Adagio has less body and impact tham pavane level. So Manley Shrimp giving some tube character doesn't affect the initial impact and body. If it is here the Shrimp - will give, if there is no, shrimp will not give that.  Audia Flight 100 is fully transparent - it provides what you give. 

Finally pavan level 1 in more engaging for me.. its more musical despite doesnt give a minute details and leayer as adagio. But gives more full mids and impact.

I Will stay with Pavane despite i liked Adagio for its technical excelence and molecular details.  

Mitch2, can you give some more information about your pre. Some link, price range? is it possible to buy?

Matt,

well, I see you have opened the floodgates to the Boulder 2150 server/dac at $65k list price. so maybe you need to now hear an $84.5k dac/passive analog preamp.....the MSB Select II.

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/select-features/

standard with a single powerbase and 77 femto clock. I just upgraded to the second powerbase and mine has the 33 Femto clock.

after hearing the Select II at a show a few years back I could not escape that reference in my head listening to other dacs in my system, and eventually it wore down my defenses and I acquired one.

I hope you can try one at some point. even if it's just at a show. that's the only place I heard one (3 different times) until I owned one. it's really on another performance level beyond other dacs I've had in my system (Trinity, Aqua Formula, Nagra HD, Lampi GG) or at shows and more in very good vinyl playback performance territory, and includes an exceptional passive analog preamp and analog inputs, modularity for future proofing, and a 10 year warranty and 'upgrade at retail difference' program that keeps it cutting edge relevant for a decade. when 'some' here look back 10 years and add up their digital investments + preamp investments, this starts to pencil.

no worries if some get their panties in a bunch over the price, comes with the territory. I just had to throw this idea into the hat, now that the hat is so much bigger.

cheers,

Mike

@mattnshilp , thanks for the review. Were you comparing the S1 to the N10 with it’s built in dac or digital out? Or both? To put it into pricing perspective the U1 which is Lumin’s player only model ( almost the same as S1 minus dac) is £4500 and the N10 ( no dac) is £8,500.
Toetap- apologies for not clarifying. 

Both. I compared the S1 using its spdif output into my DAC versus the N10 using its spdif output into my DAC. And then we compared the S1 using its internal DAC to N10 with my DAC. THEN, we compared the $9k Lumin S1 to the $6k Aurender A10 (both server/DAC combo’s) and the A10 won in both my home and office system (my offfie system is Constellation Virgo 2 preamp/Centaur stereo amp/Focal Sopra 2 speakers. 

I think the Lumin’s server section is better then its internal DAC section. But I would put the Melco above the Lumin U1 from a stand-alone server standpoint. But the Melco is a nightmare to control currently, and a bit finicky as far as connections and control. The Lumin control software is my favorite other then using Roon. And you CAN use Roon on the Lumin as well.