Why are tweeters so high off of the ground in many tower speakers...

...when most peoples ears are much lower when seated??

I've read many times that the tweeter should be at approximately ear level.  Well, I am 6 feet tall, and sitting straight up on my couch my ears are about 40 inches off the floor, lower of course if slouch.  My Artemis - Eos speakers have the tweeters at 45 inches high, so not too bad, but many others that I've seen are 50 inches high and more and I don't understand the designer's thinking.   Is a 10 - 12 inch difference in height acceptable or should the speaker be tilted down, which I think would create a whole new set of issues.
aigenga
There ya go, kalali. :)

I learned the same info (yet different height of 36") from JA’s measurements of my CS5i’s and it made all the difference when I boosted my sofa to achieve exactly that height.

Dave
Actually that is not always true. Depends on the speaker. Multiple high/high-mid frequency drivers for instance. How about the Tekton Lore? You would have to sit on the floor. Best to determine by measurements but short of that listening tests.

Dave
Speaking frankly, I'd much rather have the midrange driver at ear level than the tweeter. Especially if I was listening to CDs. 😛

@dlcockrum

Your CS5is will vary quite a lot in presentation with ear height just like Artemis EOS. I explained in the first post why - it has everything to do with the crossover of non-concentric tweeters and the mid. You get lobbing or cancellation issues when you go above or below the tangential center point between the tweeter and mid range - this changes the sound a lot.

I believe your design is a first order crossover and therefore the lobbing issue will be larger than crossovers with steeper filters.

Here is a discussion. There are pros and cons obviously.

http://hometheaterreview.com/first-order-crossovers-panacea-or-problem/