Spend more money on the amp or the pre-amp?

Let's say you have $800 total.  How much would you expect to spend on the Amp vs the Preamp? 50/50? 75/25?

What about if you have $400 total?  Does that change the ratio?

Thanks!
leemaze
I would speak to your local dealer and visit him. He will treat you with respect and even more respect your budget whatever that may be. Build your systems with respect. Happy listening my friend.

IMHO, the "separates are always better" mantra is at least 30 years out of date. Two advantages: 
Value for money: you're not paying for interconnects, another power cord, another chassis, and more packaging (it's amazing how much the latter two account for the wholesale price, especially at lower price levels). 
Performance: I believe that lot of what makes a system more "alive"-sounding comes from lowering the noise floor. Bad grounding and impedance mis-matches play havoc here; an integrated eliminates pre/power interaction problems by construction. 
Advantages of separates include automatically separate power supplies and easier shielding, but in my experience skilled designers can now make integrateds competitive with separates at prices well into five figures.

Update for anyone interested:

Got a Rega Brio-R off Ebay ($430) for the KEFs.  Sounds fantastic.

Got a NAD 7175PE off Audiomart ($170) for the Wharfdales - sounds really great.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and ideas - really helped me to sort through things.
Congratulations. Thanks for letting us know what you chose. Fill us in with some details once you've had time to evaluate.