Need suggestions please! Electrical noise in my system and it's driving me crazy!

So I have been battling with an electrical noise in my home since I moved in over a year ago. I've had two electricians check it out and have done hours of trouble shooting myself. 

I'm getting a hum or a buzz from anything with a transformer and a buzz through my speakers. Standard driver speakers and my Maggies. The house was built ten years ago and has everything up to code. Underground electrical lines. 2 ground rods outside the house. Just added a ground to all the copper plumbing and gas lines. I have a 200 amp panel in the house and a 100 amp panel in the garage. 

I have a Furman IT Reference 15 power conditioner and it's not doing jack. It's actually humming too. As far as trouble shooting I've mixed and matched equipment, speaker, and cables to eliminate that factor, I've also turned every breaker off one by one to find if it's something in the house that's dirtying up the electrical but even when I only had the one breaker that powered me system on, the noise was still there. 

I'm going crazy because my relaxing time is sitting and listening to my music in a dead silent room with a dead silent background and I no longer have that anymore. I can hear the buz, hum, and even a high pitch noise and it's ruining my hobby. Both electricians I've had in the house have no clue and and think I'm nuts anyway. 

Has anyone had an issue like this before? Could you fix it? How did you fix it? Please help! I'm about ready to sell all my equipment because it's annoying to listen to. 

Thanks,
Brian
gearheadmac
nutty
1,213 posts                                                                  09-03-2017 5:10pm

jea48,
By re-grounding- I removed the old grounding connectors, (both phone and CATV) at the grounding rod and at the exterior (outside) cable junction box. I Cleaned the stake with a wire wheel, (to remove rust or oxidation) and reinstalled new 12 awg solid ground wire and connectors.

I still had the (((hum))). With the system on and the volumn at a reasonable level, I disconnected the coax from the cable box and the (((hum))) disappeared.

This was my particular situation. I hope it helps.

nutty,

Thank you for your response.

The ground rod you speak of. Did you notice any other ground wires that were connected to it? Like a larger #6 bare or stranded copper wire?
Just a guess the ground rod was originally installed for the phone and later when CATV was installed the CATV installer used the same ground rod.

Unless the ground rod is fairly close to where the main electrical service of the house is located I doubt the ground rod for the phone or CATV is connected by at least a #6 copper ground wire to the main grounding system of the electrical service.

Many people think, including communication provider companies installers, a separate isolated ground rod is all that is needed to effectively ground their systems to mother earth. It is not though. Electrical safety codes require the systems shall be bonded, connected, to the main grounding system of the electrical service. The main reason all ground rods need to be tied, connected, together is for lightning. You also want all electrical systems grounding connected to one common ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWmULYgONA

Coaxial ground isolators are fabulous ideas, I always use one just in case, but easy to test. Just disconnect any and all incoming coaxial leads.

http://amzn.to/2wzJ3Cq

There are also specific one's for satellite antennas, which need power injection. Also, cable/satellite antennas should be bonded to the house ground, a step installers conveniently skip.
jea48,
The main rod was installed when the house was built. It was installed as the main ground for the home. However as you suspected, it is within a few feet of the main service panel and the Phone and CATV service is all there as well. The main rod is grounded with a large solid wire, 8 or possibly 6 awg. I ran new leads for the phone, CATV within the exterior boxes as well as hard wiring it directly to the main rod. The results were the same. The (((hum))) was present until I removed the coax from the system. 

N

nutty
1,214 posts                                                                      09-03-2017 8:02pm

jea48,
The main rod was installed when the house was built. It was installed as the main ground for the home. However as you suspected, it is within a few feet of the main service panel and the Phone and CATV service is all there as well. The main rod is grounded with a large solid wire, 8 or possibly 6 awg. I ran new leads for the phone, CATV within the exterior boxes as well as hard wiring it directly to the main rod. The results were the same. The (((hum))) was present until I removed the coax from the system.

jea48,
By re-grounding- I removed the old grounding connectors, (both phone and CATV) at the grounding rod and at the exterior (outside) cable junction box. I Cleaned the stake with a wire wheel, (to remove rust or oxidation) and reinstalled new 12 awg solid ground wire and connectors.

I still had the (((hum))). With the system on and the volumn at a reasonable level, I disconnected the coax from the cable box and the (((hum))) disappeared.

nutty,

But did you clean the connection on the ground rod, the ground rod clamp, and the solid #6awg copper ground wire for the electrical service? If not how do you know the connection was not corroded? You want the best possible connection you can get/make to the #6 copper ground wire. The other end of the #6 wire is terminated on the neutral/ground bar in the main electrical service panel. The neutral/ground bar is where all the equipment grounding conductors, wires, are connected/terminated.
(Assuming the main disconnect breaker for the electrical service is mounted in the electrical panel)

What you want, need, is zero resistance, (as close to zero as possible), continuity, between the safety equipment "U" shaped ground contact, (of the wall receptacle your audio video/equipment is plugged into), and the CATV coax cable shield/"F" connector that connects to the CATV receiver box.

Instead of connecting the ground wires, for the phone line and CATV coax cable, to the ground rod you should have connected them to the #6 ground wire for the electrical service.
You could use one of these to connect the two wires to the #6 wire. Install it above grade so it can be inspected. Clean the area on the #6 wire with sand paper where you will be installing the ground termination device.
http://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~5979096~path~product~part~5979096~ds~dept~process~sea...

If you are still living at the same house I would recommend you re-terminate the phone and CATV ground wires. Pick up an Intersystem Bonding Termination as shown in the link above.
You could also use a couple of split bolts instead. See my earlier post for a link.
Though the Intersystem Bonding Termination meets NEC code.

Jim

Edit to my post above.

When I spoke about cleaning the connection of the electrical service’s #6 copper ground wire at the ground rod I should have mentioned with extreme caution. There could be a lethal difference of potential, voltage, between the disconnected ground wire (the Grounding Electrode Conductor) and the ground rod (Electrode) as well from the #6 ground wire to the soil you are contacting with your knees or any other part of your body contacting the earth. Especially if the soil and or grass is moist/wet.

Jim