What? Cant hear the voices

My wife and I 55 yrs ish are now having trouble hearing the voices clearly over laugh track and music backrounds on TV shows and movies on DVD. We have a great 38 inch Lowe HD tube TV, embedded in a great two channel sound system. Right now we get the best sound just using the two stereo speakers (Von Sweikert Vr4 SR's) and turning off the TV volume. My question is the best way to proceed. Is there a way to just add a center speaker and a reciever to handle it perhaps with prologic 2? Not interested in surround etc, just clearer voices. Thanks
128x128gammajo
I looked at the pictures of your system and room. I wonder about the effects of all that glass behind the speakers. Might a curtain reduce some of the problematic reflections that the window likely introduces?
Audphile1: Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the reference and it seems to be an elegant solution for someone such as me who is not needing the ultimate in surround. Do you have one of the Yamaha units and do you like it?
Gammajo, no I don't have this unit. I remember seing a picture of it in Audio Advisor and thought that this would work well for you so I looked it up on their website. It's not really cheap, but looks to be just right for what you're trying to do. Plus it has several digital inputs so you can basically have your dvd player and your cable box hooked up to it. And no receiver required!
AA offers 30 days money back so if it does not work out for you, all lost is shipping cost.
I wish I can offer an opinion in regards to how this thing sounds, but I never listened to it.
I think it has to sound way better than your TV speakers though.
Best of luck.
yeah, I thought I responded to this post already, but apparantly not. This sounds like a speaker/seating placment problem, and acoustics issue! If you can't understand the dialoge on good speakers/gear, that's your problem(s). You're bass is probably booming, and off-balance with the rest of the system, and you may or maynot be treating acoustics and "reflection" issues well enough, that your image is getting "smeared", and dialoge is vague. All of the above likely.
Do you find yourself going "up and down" on the volume all the time to compensate for loud passages vs quite ones, with low volume dialoge? You should also consider the noise floor in your room, and sound issolation.
Yep those are your problems..