Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
I own a pair of Walsh 300's which I bought in 1999. Overall, I am very happy with them. Advantages: 1)excellent midrange and great sound stage. Don't have to sit in the sweet spot for good results. 2)Decent bass response. 3) Reasonable price range. 4) Easy to set up. Don't have to spend a lot of time to get them positioned for good sound. Disadvantages: 1)not very efficient. They take a lot of power to play at loud levels. I currently drive mine with a Bryston 4B (250 watts @ 8 ohms). 350 watts would be better. 2) At high levels the bass seems to distort somewhat. I plan to fix this by adding a Velodyne subwoofer someday. 3)Fit and finish is not that great. I am disappointed here. 4)Internal wiring and interconnect quality is somewhat low. I plan to re-wire the speakers someday. There is room for improvement here; but, I doubt that it would make much diffence in the sound quality. Overall, I am very happy. My friends like them too. I don't agree with the gentlemen who says that looking at the guts of the driver soured him on the sound. It amazes me that you get so much high quality sound out of relatively small driver. Another plus is that if one fails out of warranty then they only cost around a grand to replace. Note: I have not had to do this up to now. That's my take on them.
Out of curiosity, what did you find inside of the "sealed can" in yours ? Please be as descriptive as possible. Sean
>
I to have a pair of 300 mk11, also found they need a lot of power to sing. Having owned both f"s and walsh 4"s these are to my ears more refined. The cabinet although is not as well done from a veneer standpoint as the 4"s were. I have been able to compair these to original walsh 5"s and find the 300 more detailed with better imagery. Nathan you should trial a pair of walsh 5's with your experence it would be interesting to hear what you think!
Years ago one of the first speakers to wow me was a pair of Ohm's.
I have been experimenting with a second "budget" system an recently decided to try the new Walsh Sat's that they advertise on their site. In my mind it solved some of the problems they used to have with loose bloated bass as they filter out 80hz and below.(You must use them with a sub.) That also allowed me to use a tube amp as before you needed an amp with high damping.
I have had the Walsh Sat's for a week and the sound is incredible!!! I have owned or auditioned many speakers over the years, most at considerably more money, and in some regards it beats them all. Took me quite a while to position it correctly and had to use some room treatments but has been well worth it. Sound just seems so more real than other speakers. Before this the only thing that came close was Magnepans. I am having a couple of my musician friends over in the near future to give them a listen. If anybody is interested I will post a review with their comments. For my ears there dosent seem to be any better for the money.

Good listening,

Bin
Sean,

I never opened the sealed can so I can't comment as to what is inside. Whatever it is it works great in my opinion.

Best regards,
7p62mm