Are horns and hi-eff designs becoming more popular

I feel they are but wonder what others think? Since today one can build hi-eff designs in most any type of loudspeaker. With many new hi-eff transducers availible. Hi-effs not just front or back horn designs anymore.
128x128johnk
Shadorne I do agree with what you are saying to a point my Klipsch will NEVER get in the livingroom or I will be single! The Linn tower speakers are very attractive and look great just sitting there and yet I MISS the big horn sound. Yes they are butt ugly but if it was all about looks and convience how do you explain the resurgence of vinyl? The resurgence of tubes? Surely are hard drive with all your music on with the smallest most attractive speakers is what most women would want? Yet in some of these monster homes that are being built surely there is space for a room dedicated to just sound with little regard to "looks".

People did say vinyl was dead, tubes were dead, big speakers (horns for sure) were dead and yet that those seem to be the growth areas????
05-22-08: Johnk ... So I dont think large sized loudspeakers will ever become popular.

Whilst that may be true, it is really sad.

Big(gish) horns do sound great. I have a pair of Cardersound Madisons that are little over 6 foot high and I am bolwed over by their sound each time I listen, even though I have owned them about 6 months now.

I honestly cannot imagine ever going back to small monitor - high wattage amps again.

regards
Paul
pauly,

The Cardersound dual loaded horns have caught my eye here on a'gon of late.

They appear well made and reasonably affordable and the point source design with the high/low double horn loading is a design that, having never actually heard, makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd love to hear them just for the sake of hearing them. Unfortunately, the big speaker effect discussed in this thread impacts me...there is nowhere in my home I could place them and do them justice even if I were inclined to.
Funny thing is you don't need to see them being popular, besides some bose, or jbl, polk speakers, Klipsch I am sure sells just as many pairs that would shock you in the #'s here and overseas...

Marketing is not as needed as you think.

They have always been popular, its like metallica, they sell out all their concerts but nobody that watches american idol has probably even heard of them today, or seen them so automatically its not commercial or the popular universal choice.. Our hobby is not commercial, but its way bigger than most probably think.
(Disclaimer: No I am not a big metallica fan, it was a solid example showing its bigger than you think is all, and they have quietly sold millions of albums underground and more commercially)
05-23-08: Mapman
[of Cadersounds] Unfortunately, the big speaker effect discussed in this thread impacts me...there is nowhere in my home I could place them and do them justice even if I were inclined to.

Is height a problem or footprint?

Jeff makes a Fostex 126 version which a very modestly sized footprint, albeit still at 6’ high. (I cannot think that height can be much of a problem unless you have sloping ceiling or such like) I auditioned the 126es at first and I very nearly went for them rather than the Madisons.

Alternatively, if you really do need a small speaker, JohnK makes (or used to at least) a Fostex 126E based BLH that is really tiny (2’ high) but sounds really very good given their small stature. I have a pair and I had to use stands they’re so tiny.

Note, I am not affiliated with Jeff or John in any way, but vouch for their products as a satisfied customer.

Regards
Paul