How big should center spkr be to set to "large"?

in the processor, that is?

My center speaker is pretty big as center speakers go, a Paradigm cc570. But it pales in LF response compared to my front L/R. Also, I am not currently using a sub.

I have tried it with the center set to small and large. When center is set to large, the movies seem to lose a lot of overall bass. I have plenty of amp power to the center, 200w.

I would like to set the center to large to get a bigger sound right there in the middle, but perhaps you have to have an even bigger center speaker. But that is going to get really expensive.
mtrot
"bigger sound right there in the middle" can be best achieved by a sub that doesn't even have to be anywhere near the middle. Set up is important but if the sub is crossed at 80hz or below and even half way blended into your system, it's gonna sound like it's in the middle.

That's gotta be alot cheaper than a center speaker that has 12" woofers
Yeah, except when a speaker (in this case, center speaker) is sitting in somewhat of a hole in the 70-80hz regigion, and someone ends up getting some more "umph" by crossing their rather large center speaker over at, like 60hz or whatever, you should most always be looking at crossing over a normal sized center speaker at "small"! Why? Yes, they don't play so low. But that's not the problem entirely. Another case, and just as important of one, is that these passive speakers can't properly deal with full range bass info efficiently enough, often leading to distrotion, clipping, and squashed dynamics. Basically, not only does the speaker have to play lower than comfortable often, when set to "larger" (or anything larger than 60-80hz really), but the amps (usually receivers) can't really control the drivers well enough in most passive crossover design models either! The passive crossover is a rather innefficient design overall. And most speakers aren't so "sensitive" as well. (some larger horn speakers help greatly).
So, the vast majority of the time (I've yet to run any center speaker as large in any setup I've ever done, and I've done hundreds!), you get better efficiency, and dynamic range from crossing over to "small". The critical part is making sure your speakers and sub(s) are coupled well (and flat ideally) at the crossover frequency, and in phase! Here in lies the problem where most people run into with speaker/sub placement and setup. They know nothing of this part...
Here's a shorter explaination, IMHO. If the speaker can't handle "full range"...45 or 50Hz to 20kHz for arguments sake, set the center channel to small on your receiver. It just makes life much easier that way.

Thats just my take on things though. It works for me.
I use full range floor standing speakers for my front LR, but I find the sound more open and transparent even for stereo if I set all the speakers to small, and let the sub handle LF.

db
I also have full-range floorstanders for front L/R, but I don't have a sub, so I can't set them to small.