What sounds best: Vinyl or CDs

My system in an introductory level of high end music reproduction, I realize.  I like music, not so much gadgetry so I am content, although I keep tweeking from time to time trying to get better sound.  Martin Logan ESL mains, Def. Tech 800 subs (2),  NAD C375BEE Int. Amp, Project Debut Carton turntable w/Ortofon Red cartridge, Yamaha S300 CD player (with a Rega Apollo R player on order),  Niagara 1000 power conditioner. My question/concern is this:  My CDs sound Sooo much better than my vinyl albums.  My vinyl collection is substantial, from the '60s through the '80s, with all in great condition.  But on my system CDs are more volume sensitive, with more dynamics and depth.  Is this normal or am I missing something in my system?  I had originally thought, "Oh well, they are 40+ years old with 40+ year old recording technology".  But is there more? I have even gone to point of buying the CD if there is a particular vinyl I want to listen to frequently.  Comments?
128x128chipito
Thanks for the many meaningful responses.  Yes, this is a very personal and subjective sport with unlimited ($$) variables.  I have, however, decided to add a separate phono preamp, with gain and adjustments to the mix, hoping to bring the vinyl experience up to something more pleasing, in my ears anyway.  At least that is where I will start.

another Mahler sighting.....

last night I was absolutely enjoying (under the spell of) the 2012 192khz/24 bit recording of a Chamber ensemble version of Mahler#4, Trevor Pinnock conducting the Royal Academy of Music Soloist’s Ensemble. I’m not a Mahler or Classical expert, but this one really hits the spot. all the little nuance things that vinyl does are here and it’s all so physically easy on my senses, natural and super intimate and involving. the tone and textures are intoxicating. the room is alive with realism and delight. reach out and touch it holographic presentation.....at least here in the barn.

along with the intimate and subtle are the big macro moments. overall a Chamber Music scale, but moments of shock and awe too.

is this digital? vinyl? it’s certainly something.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...onie-no-4.aspx

the Select II/SGM delivers again.....and again. it seems this combo is made for my system. it transcends the concept of formats and just does music.

For me it's about the recording and how it's done. Iggy Pops Brick by Brick on cd sounds better than my original import vinyl because the guitar mix on the vinyl hides the guitar. Same with Pat Benatars Crimes of Passion,the cd is clearer than the vinyl which sounds muddled and  murkey.
I have vinyl which clearly sounds better than their cd counterparts. Like I said depends on how the recording was done.

While CDs are often kind of whimpy sounding they can sound dynamic and detailed. At the same time I frequently feel as if the recording on CD is like the steak in the movie The Fly that was teleported from one pod to the other. When it came out of the second pod it sure looked like it made it OK. It looked like a steak and maybe even smelled like a steak. But when Jeff Goldblum and Gina Davis cooked and ate the steak something must have gone dreadfully wrong because it didn’t taste at all like steak. Not even close. In fact, it was inedible.

There is so much going on with respect to digital recordings vs analog recordings and playback that it takes volumes.

1) if the physical recording is digital instead of analog, then with proper digital playback equipment vs like analog playback equipment, you probably won't hear a difference. 

2) if the recording is analog and then remastered to digital, then that is a different story. 

The real test is at what level does the analog equipment outshine the digital equipment.  I have found that it all comes down to how good the analog equipment is vs the digital equipment.  In my opinion, when you pass a certain price point, the analog equipment will out perform the digital.

I have heard some of the very best digital playback equipment vs some of the very best analog playback equipment and the analog beat the digital.

Again, a lot depends on how the recording was done initially.

Take a recording that was done "correctly" in analog and also record it in digital at the same time.  play the recordings back on high end digital and analog playback equipment properly set up and you will hear the difference.

Again, a lot depends on how the recording was initially done.

I have a pretty good  digital playback system (can always get better) and a pretty good analog playback system (again, can always  get better).  When I want to listen and enjoy, I listen to my digital system. especially when I don't want to be cleaning albums and getting up to change discs.  but, when I want serious listening, well, the analog is the way I go.

Just me, because everyone has their own opinion. 

but, you really have to understand the recording process for the comparison to be fair. 

enjoy