Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Not meaning to bore anyone with personal details, but simply to make a point and (hopefully) food for thought:

I have a mole on the left side of my neck that has been there for as long as I can remember. I have always thought that it was probably the result of a couple of bad sunburns suffered during my careless younger days; or, the result of...who knows? My teenage son has a similar mole in the exact same spot on his neck; he doesn’t like the sun. Coincidence? I don’t believe in coincidences. Isn’t it fascinating and mysterious what traits are inherited from and passed on by our parents?

Nice clips of Ravi Coltrane, Acman3. Coincidentally, about three weeks ago, at an outdoor Classical music concert of all places, I met Ravi Coltrane. Nicest guy you will ever meet. Perhaps it was the simple knowledge of who he is the son of and the well documented gentleness and spiritual quality that his father possessed, but it was striking how similar Ravi’s personality is to what I know of his father’s. Physically, the similarities in facial features were also amazing; but that, I suppose, is to be expected. To say I was somewhat "star struck" (if one can call it that) as I shook his hand would be an understatement. The mentioned qualities can reasonably be expected, but the fact that his tenor saxophone playing is so remarkably reminiscent of his father’s is what amazes me; although, for me, somewhat less so his soprano playing. As has been commented on here many times there are and have been many Coltrane disciples who play great and some who carried on the Coltrane torch and extended the Trane musical language. None have had that deep sense of "calm in the eye of the storm" quality that Trane’s playing had. Just wanted to share and thanks for the clips.