Anyone try and compare the Halcro SSP 100 or 80?

I have heard good and bad things about these Halcro SSP and my dealer really recommends it over the other lines he carries like Meridian, Lexicon and Theta.

Has anyone out there had one of these ssp's in there system to compare?

I currently have a Meridian G68 XXX and I really do like it but the video switching and what my dealer tells me is better audio has me thinking about an upgrade.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
mjaudio
05-07-07: Henryhk
what are HDMI switching capabilites for Lexicon vs Halcro vs Meridien? I saw a review Halcro somewhere they encountered some issues...some players working some not, like the nwe Toshiba HD DVD players. Can anyone comment on the three unit's performance in this regard?

Most of the glitches were in the first year and a half with HDMI. From what I have heard lately, in the last year or so they have not had any problems. The scaler is good with the SSP-100, but it is not state of the art. Sonics are the main strenght of the Halcro. Sorry, can't comment vs Meridian and Lexicon, maybe Mjaudio and pramod can? I believe Mjaudio has a Toshiba HD player as well?
I used to track Lexicon closely when I owned an MC-12. They came out with an HD version of the MC-12, which handles audio and video via HDMI inputs. IIRC, it does video switching, but not scaling, and is rated for up to 1080i, but not 1080p. I would suggest going to www.smr-forums.com for user experiences with Lexicon.

The HD version of the MC-12 was considered an interim product. The people who follow Lexicon closely expect a new PrePro with a new architecture to replace the MC-12 at some point in the future.

Bruce
EandJ,

What are you using the SSP-100 to scale? I tried to let is upscale the Component signal from my SA 8300HD cable box, and it looked miserable.

That may be because it had to go from component to HDMI out of the Halcro, and to up-res from 480a to 720p. MY TV and cable box, both do this conversion better than the Halcro.

Can you share your positive experiences? I would love to get better scaling from my cable box.

Thanks,
Darrell
The Meridian G68 has no HDMI switching but I believe they have a switcher that can be added for video only. I don't think the 861 has HDMI yet but I would suspect them to have it this year since Meridian owns Faroudja.

I have a Toshiba HD DVD player and a PS3 I use for Blu-Ray and both work perfectly with the Halcro. I also have a DirecTv HD DVR connected via HDMI and get great results.
I have not encountered any problems using HDMI with the Halcro.

I have tried using the scaler but it really is not very good. The SSP-80 is a smart choice if you can live without the preview screen and 1 less HDMI input.

I heard the upgrade to multi-channel LPCM HDMI is coming this June which would allow DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD to be played back by the Halcro. I have also heard that the upgrade will take the 2 channel high-res. to 7.1 channel high res. were the Lexicon will only do 5.1 channel high res.
A Halcro Tech told me that we should not expect HDMI 1.3 in High End pre-pro's until January. The HDMI 1.3 developer kits were just sent out about a month ago for High End Mfg's.

I have had my Halcro SSP-100 for about 2 months now and it still makes me say WOW at times. I really love this pre-pro.
Also interesting to see new pre/pro from Krell has come out...with same styling as their evolution series, and I guess above their showcase range...says HDMI capable but did not look into details....yet

The Lexicon (the new HD version), Halcro, Anthem are the HMDI capable ones I have seen so far though scaling as u say may differ in real abilites.

I starting to wonder whether I should get a separate HDMI capable scaler/switch and just use the pre/pro for audio. Choices would certainly widen then...for example there are the more analogue oriented multi channel pre such as CJ, Theta, etc

this is getting more confusing each time I think about it (how to build a sep home theatre from my current 2 channel system as I move houses)