Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Your quite welcome Tablejockey; although I know one aficionado who's saying "I heard that one before". (smile)

It's even a mystery to me as to why I don't have Grant Green LP's, especially since there were no CD's back then, but as we speak, I'm listening to "Idle Moments" which is one of his best records that's on
LP.

"I would just smile and feign interest. As a teenager, I just didn’t "get it" Way over my head as to the significance Western Ave had on west coast Jazz."

You will have to explain that to me as well Tablejockey.

"You Tube" is what I like best about these times; you can search for all those albums that you don't have.

Enjoy the music.

I can always find time to watch Wes. Just mesmerizing to watch him play. 

O- if you dont already have the DVD  "Live in 65" I strongly recommend you get it. It's one of a series "Jazz Icons"

"I would just smile...
You will have to explain that to me as well Tablejockey."

Noticed my memory of those times typed "Western Ave"
That should be "Central"

Wiki Central Ave tidbit:
From approximately 1920 to 1955, Central Avenue was the heart of the African-American community in Los Angeles, with active rhythm and blues and jazz music scenes. Local luminaries included Eric Dolphy, Art Pepper, Chico Hamilton, and Charles Mingus. Other jazz and R&B musicians associated with Central Avenue in LA include Benny Carter, Buddy Collette, Dexter Gordon, Lionel Hampton, Hampton Hawes, Big Jay McNeely, Johnny Otis, Shifty Henry, Charlie Parker (briefly), Gerald Wilson, Anthony Ortega, Onzy Matthews and Teddy Wilson. Commenting on its historical prominence, Wynton Marsalis once remarked that "Central Avenue was the 52nd Street of Los Angeles."[3] Although Central Avenue is no longer the thriving jazz center it was, its legacy is preserved by the Central Avenue Jazz Festival and a small number of jazz clubs, including Bluewhale in Little Tokyo.

Still in my R&R phase, I just wanted to play like my heroes. I wasn't one of those enlightened students  that understood/accepted Classcial and Jazz are is where one begins on their musical journey.

While having dinner, I watched "Live in 65" What a great DVD. Haven't seen it in years.The series roster has all the usual suspects, and I'm going to buy  few more...just don't know where to start?
All the artist are great!

http://jazzicons.com/index1.html

I'm sure LA still has a thriving jazz scene. St. Louis is "Style and profile", if you want to go to a swanky club to see and be seen we have them. Although the music is right up to date, apparently I'm not, because I could live without it.

After looking at all those DVD's available, I don't know where to start. They sound better when you're watching them perform; I witnessed that from watching that "Blue Note" DVD; Herby Hancock never sounded so good.

From what I can see, I want all of the DVD's.

Enjoy the music.

Heard this on WBGO this morning.  I've heard this contemporary guitar player with Donald Fagen, Michael Brecker and others, but not his solo efforts.  Love the feeling he and the rhythm section get going on this Latin flavored tune.  Interesting how his soloing goes in unexpected directions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvBniVENcw