Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Oh my God! Someone at Audiogon who wants to keep his equipment? Blasphemy! I have owned only two (2) pairs of speakers since 1992. That's right, 2 pairs in 14 years. The first were a pair of B&W 802 Matrix III's and now I have Revel Studio Ultimas which will probably be my final speakers. I loved the B&W's because they were accurate much like Proacs and a fantastic value at $4200.00 list in 1992. There was nothing to touch them at that price. If you look around on Audiogon, you can probably find a pair for $2500.00 asking price and get them down to $2100.00. They are still a bargain even against many other current dynamic loudspeakers. Note that I did not trade them in for B&W Nautilus 802's. I simply never thought the Nautilus 802 was worth twice the price against the Matrix line and I still do not. That is why I ended up buying The Revels which are still one of the most outstanding values in the market. They blow away many if not all speakers in the $15000.00 to $25000.00 price range and they sell for $11000.00 new. You occassionally see them for about $7000.00 on Audiogon, but very seldom. There is a reason for this. They are fantastic speakers. They do anything you want in a dynamic speaker. Imaging, bass authority, sweet highs, easy room placement. Of course, they must be driven by the right front end electronics and the correct wires as is the case with any speaker. The point being that if you change your speakers, you may be putting yourself into a system make-over which can run into some big $$$$$$$$.
I had a pair of BBC (built by Audiomaster) LS35a's for 21 years and I kick myself every time I think about it for selling them on eBay. Damn. There, I did it again, one solid kick to the trousers.

Nigel
Totem Sttafs are my modest contribution. 15 years old, bearing honourable battle scars inflicted by growing, active kids, and now relegated to a humble second system. Yet when I fire them up they still sound wonderfully natural and enjoyable, even though subsequent upgrades have more of any given element; detail, bass extension, etc. I sometimes wonder why I didn't just upgrade electronics and stick with these old comforters.