Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Apogee Duetta Signatures for 15+ years. I have been upgrading everything else (well, even the Duettas if you count adding an active crossover and bi-amping) and they just keep sounding better and better. Even small changes are very noticeable. I still think in terms of what I can do to improve how they sound rather than what might replace them. I do think they are better with classical and jazz than some rock but my better produced rock sounds great, too. It might be argued that I have spent more trying to meet their requirements than I would if I replaced them with more efficient speakers, but it is still fun trying to see how good they can be. I do tend to hold on to things. I also still have my Polk 7M's (almost 20 years) which I have used in smaller rooms.
I have a Spectral/Avalon 2C3D system and a Martin Logan home theater system but with the right material my 18 year old Celestion SL600 speakers can still raise the hair on my neck - I cannot imagine getting rid of them.
Allison Series 9 & 8 speakers very musical and worth grabbing if you ever see them.........
a very interesting thread indeed. as the proud owner of a pair of dahlquist dq-10's, (the first speakers i ever bought), i can only repeat what the salesperson, and owner of the store, tasso spanos, (opus one, in pgh. pa) said when i bought them. "just because its new, doesn't mean its better" and "if it sounded good yesterday, it will sound good tomorrow". I think that great design's will always make great speakers. look at the names people have mentioned, JBL, dunleavy, tannoy, von schwiekert (sp?), allison, apogee, dynaudio, quad els, etc. rock solid designs, or designs that radically challenged the staus quo. top quality materials, built to last, tested in real world enviroments. speakers that are well balanced across the entire audio spectrum, open sounding, great sound stage and imaging, that can handle every type of music whether played at a wisper or at LIVE volume levels. the dq-10's and twenty's have been mentioned several times, and this is a design concept from the early 70's that is still applicable today. open baffle to remove any "boxiness", multiple drivers to handle a smaller portion of the spectrum, each maximized to handle that particular portion, "phased array" to keep the sound wave in correct "alignment". the people at spica "borrowed" this concept. opus one sold five-six speakers while i was there. not 5-6 speaker lines, but 5-6 speakers. on any given day a speaker manufacturer could walk in the door and the entire staff would sit down and do a/b testing using the best electronics in the store, and electronics that were in the speakers so called "price range". when i purchased my dq-10's, the current speakers were several small bookshelf speakers fron genesis, the large advent, a two way with a 15" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter made buy a local guy in his garage, the dq-10's and acoustats. when i left, a year and a half later, the line -up was the new boston acoustics line, the spica's, the dq-10's, and the acoustats. we also added the dq-9's for musicians who wanted something that would play at extremely high volume levels. each one of these speakers had a design concept that was radically different from the run of the mill "boxes" that were being put out to "match price points". each one offered a step up in the level of reproduction, but more importantly, each one played MUSIC! yes, we all have our own idea of what "sounds" best to us. yes, all of our choices are subjective, but no matter how much we spend or don't spend, it will always be about the music. my dq-10's sounded great the day i bought them and i'm sure they will sound just as good tomorrow. i would like to hear what a pair of dq-2003's would sound like. take the exact same design and use the best of today's technology, super long throw woofer using the lastest composite materials, kevlar mid-range drivers, silk dome tweeter, replace the peizo super tweeter with a ribbon, top of the line wiring and electronics in the crossover, super robust construction in the cabinetry, etc. the dq-10's sold for a thousand a pair in 1979 when i bought mine. even adding for inflation, i don't think i could best them for twice the price. i wonder what a pair of dq-2003's would cost? just dreaming!
I have had a pair of Carver Amazing Platinum IV speakers since I originally purchased them about ... You know, I really can't remember when I purchased them. I do know that I got them just before they were discontinued from production. Picked up a pair of Carver Silver 9t monoblocks at the same time. Maybe not the best amp out there but they seem to work well with the Carver speakers.

Anyway, for the price, I can't remember hearing any speaker that can compare with the Carver Amazings. The smooth sound of the 60" ribbons coupled to the four 12" woofers per side are incredible. Truly a full range sound.

Have I heard better sounding speakers? Yes! but at incredulous prices. 25K - 100k for speakers is OK if your happen to be in that tax bracket, but for the average working Joe, that translates to a new car or down-payment on a home or condo.

I have recently started shopping for speakers again. It seems that every few years I get that itch, but have yet to find a speaker that would impress me to the point where I would just get rid of my Carvers. I am curious about listening to the VMPS RM40 though. I have heard good things about them, but their nearest dealer to me is in Virginia or somewhere in that area.

Any suggestions as to what I might want to look into for replacement speakers would be appreciated. I don't know if I could go back to dynamic drivers though. There is just something magical about ribbons or electrostatic panels.