Should I build plinths or screw spikes into cabinet?

I've got a great old pair of B&W DM640 floor standers, but I don't have the plinth and spike kit that were sold as an option back in the '90s.  Since I have been unable to track down a kit online or directly through B&W I am planning on building my own.

The speakers themselves were built without any isolation system on the base of the cabinet, and were set on top of adjustable "lugs" which were incorporated into the top of the optional wooden plinths.  Each plinth had four basic spikes mounted at the corners.  This sounds easy enough to replicate.

Does it make more sense to simply drill into the base of the cabinet and mount the spikes directly?  The tweeters are nearly at ear level, so I don't need to lift them much.  I am a little hesitant to make any permanent alteration to the speakers, however.  Any opinions or alternatives are welcomed!
guitared
My post was out of what I feel to be the need to address the main issue first: your suspended wooden floors. (I have a similar issue) This should be done first and addressing this basic issue will be beneficial for every aspect of your listening pleasure and system upgrades from now on.
Good luck!
The main reason I like (spikes), it allows me to fine tune speaker placement which I find to be critical. If you don't feel a need to drain vibrations away, the Vibrapods may be one solution. Some may have monitors that allow this adjustment to be made between the speaker and the stand.

I've found that with suspended wooden floors, there will be (out of level) floor issues that require a more thoughtful approach that may include having several methods of adjustability.
Thanks again to everyone for the helpful responses.  

I just put two hardware store sourced jack-posts on top of cinder blocks in my crawlspace directly under the speakers, and wow what an improvement!  The low end has evened out through the lower frequency range where before there were certain bass notes that rang much louder than others.  I believe the level of detail in the mid and upper ranges is up significantly as well.  I read something recently about working to allow your current gear to sound as it was intended before investing money in new equipment.  It has been a fun learning process figuring out cheap DIY methods to get significant improvements out of the equipment I have been listening to for a few years now.  If my system wasn't in a family living space I would move on to acoustic treatments next, but I'll have to stick with creative use of pillows and blankets until we move to somewhere I can get a more dedicated listening area.  I already got shut down for the more "attractive" items by my better half haha.
A really cheap but effective method is to use hockey pucks instead of spikes but you would have no adjustments unless you add some threads.

Kenny.
That's not a bad idea, and I might actually be one of the few North Carolinians who actually has a few hockey pucks laying around...