Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Very possible the Sonist is an easier load and more compatible with SET/SEP amplifiers than the Soliloquy. Sonist was designed specifically to mate with these types of amplifiers from the very beginning.

Charles
I simply happen to have some KT150s hanging around attempting to escape from their boxes (I know what’s going on man…I notice the little open box lids), otherwise I’m happy with the amp as is. Also, I noticed a Merrill Audio ad someplace and since I already like solid core (who doesn’t? Like Linc from Mod Squad said, "Solid!") I ordered a pair of interconnects…didn’t notice the "hand made" bit and asked when they were shipping…oops...interesting response where Mister Merrill noted the WEEKS it takes to make these things, so hey…I’ll wait. I meter cable…won’t make ’em in advance…no no no…does that cut into my 60 day return policy? (kidding…really…)
Very possible the Sonist is an easier load and more compatible with SET/SEP amplifiers than the Soliloquy.

Very true Charles, though if I recall correctly, Dennis Had had a hand in the development of the Soliloquy line of speakers. I seem to recall they were also manufactured in North Carolina, and Dennis helped design them so that they had a very stable, 8 ohm load.

In fact, here is a quote from a review of the Soliloquy 6.3:

Fixtures at every audio show I've attended, Soliloquy loudspeakers have a growing reputation among my ilk of audiophile -- tube lovers, that is. I understand that Cary Audio's Dennis Had designed the original two Soliloquy speakers, which have been long discontinued, and then sold the rights to the name Soliloquy to the current owner, Bernie Byers, who has bulked out the line.

Certainly, 93 dB is more efficient than 90 dB, but I wouldn't think that would be a night and day difference.

However, the proof is in the listening.

Cheers,
John
Brief update...

I met with Frank. His system is almost as amazing as he is. The best part is, the whole time we were listening to it, all we did was talk about the music, not the system. About as good as it gets.

Since, I have added a Synergistic Black to my amp. It’s still breaking in, but Jocelyn and I listened to everything from Daft Punk, to XTC, to the Lighthouse All Stars (thank you Frank), and it’s like the system has transcended. Drums are unbelievably real. Piano, too.

Also met with another ’gonner named Ciro. We did an A/B with an Audio Horizons fuse and a Synergistic Black in his Conrad Johnson CA150. To me, it was a no contest. The Black fuse was just real.

Pretty neat stuff. Best thing about this thread is that I’ve met some good people, and listened to some good music because of it. The fuses are just the bonus.

Regards,
Jason
The difference between 93db and 90db speakers does make a fairly large difference at least in how speakers respond to a low powered amp (or any amp)…few Cary amps were as low powered as the Inspire stuff seems to be so I bet most Cary amps will do fine with 90db speakers. 3db is, as some say, YUGE.

Also, I'm required to say this from time to time: Any fuses, when working properly, can't and consequently don't do anything to enhance the tone of your gear. Does anybody disagree with this? No? Well there ya' go.