Bass distortion before tweeter distortion with a monitor at high volume?

I am looking at getting a set of monitors for a second system in a small room (12' x 10') , but I would also like the flexibility to play them in my main system in a room that is larger (13' x 25') with cathedral ceilings.

Let's assume that the small speaker I end up with won't be able to produce enough volume without distorting in the larger room.  Most of what I have read indicates that a subwoofer would solve the problem.  My understanding is that I would want to high-pass the bass on the speaker before it reaches the point of distortion, solving that issue.

If that is true, that leads me to believe that generally the tweeter would not be distorting unless the volume is at a higher level.  Is this normally the case?  If not, it seems there would be no point to using the sub. 

To restate the question:  With a high quality monitor, is it safe to say that the tweeter can play at higher volume without distorting compared to the woofer?  I am speaking in general terms here - I am sure there are exceptions.  Thanks.
abnerjack
" The point of this thread is to discuss whether that distortion, which most seem to agree would occur on the bottom end first, could be relieved by high passing and allowing the sub to take the lowest range."

That's not true. If you have to push an amp hard to drive your speakers, the highs will be more of a problem. And in reality, this is far more likely to happen.

sfall,

I am not going to be pushing an amp hard.  To the contrary, I will be using a Bryston 4bsst2, which has 300w at 8 ohms, and can coast and drive ( I would think ) any 2 way monitor I choose.  Again, the point is, I want a small speaker that I can use in a small room primarily, and then occasionally  use it in a larger room where it will be driven harder, hence the break-up in the woofer.
A well designed speaker should perform with almost flat response and just roll off in the bass due to size limitations.  Also, how big is your "big" room and how loud do you listen?  I've seen some monitors that rock better than some huge floor standers, take Revel for example.  You can throw 300 watts at them.
Where will my speakers distort if driven with a bryston 300 wpc amp?  I would have to say that it depends on the music.  Jimi Hendrix will distort and possibly fry the tweeters, while Pachelbel's Canon might overdrive the woofer. Something like Diana Krall will probably do the best since she tends to be more in the mid-range.
A sub will help the amp more than the speakers unless you turn up the bass knob.
On a last point:  My favorite repairman always said that 1 watt of distortion will fry a speaker much faster than 100 clean watts.
If you have a Bryston 4, you're correct in thinking that it will be able to handle almost any small speaker with ease. But that doesn't solve the problem. There's 2 things you need to consider.Regardless of what happens with bass, all speakers are different. Some may be able to play loud enough for you, while others can't. It has to be taken on a case by case basis, and not generalize.

More importantly, If you have a small speaker, the sub will almost certainty not be able bridge the gap between sub frequencies and the lowest frequencies the small speakers put out. Using an xover to cut out the lowest frequencies in the small speaker is only going to make the problem worse. I think this is where the confusion is coming from. Subwoofers are not woofers. They are not meant to play low frequencies, they're meant to play sub frequencies. The right way to do this would be to use a sub with full range speakers. That way, everything is doing what they were designed to do.
sfall,

You once again make some good points, particularly the gap you mention between the reproducible frequencies of the sub vs the speaker and your statement that subwoofers are not woofers.

I use a pair of Rel T5's and they have crossover capability of 30hz to  120hz.  One of the criticisms I have heard regarding the Rels is that they in fact are not true subwoofers, but instead bass extenders.  Maybe that could work to my advantage in this scenario.

I will use the Kef LS50 as an example of what I am thinking.  The specs on the Kef show it going down to 47Hz.  Let's say that the high pass turns the "woofer" duty over to the Rel at 60 or 65 Hz, relieving the Kef of that responsibility.  Might that work?