Ground Hum with Rega RP6, Exact and TT PSU.

Greetings.

Just purchased a Rega RP6, Exact, TTPSU and I am getting a HELL of a hum. I am using an Aragon 47K Phone pre amp. I unplugged the wall wart and the cable which goes from the table and it is still there. I seems to get worse when I turn it on and the tonearm gets close to the center of the arm spindle and it picks up a lot of motor noise. Just sold a 28 year old Linn Axis with a Signet Cartridge and never had this issue with just the normal hiss associated as you turn up the volume. It's not noticeable a lower volumes but it is there during quiet passages and it is extremely annoying. The table sounds way better but the noise is very intrusive and honestly I am disappointed after dropping almost $2000. Thanks in advance
pivetta
Hi,

I recall a poster on Youtube with the same hum issue on his RP6 and TTPSU. His solution was to grab a length of wire, careful back out the left side, back screw on the TTPSU and apply the ground wire to the screw then place screw back in place. From such he then grounded out the TTPSU to his ground post on phono preamp and TA DA the hum vanished.

Yes a thin ground wire  does then  stick out from the back of the TTPSU but his problem went away. Rega does not ground the TTPSU and on some cartridges the hum may be an issue. The Youtube video should be below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAY2rRsqHLE
I only have an old P3 without the PSU it separate phono pre, but I do have a hum that increases as the cart approaches the spindle. I did two things to reduce it to the point that, if the volume is high enough to hear the hum from the listening position, I'd blow my speakers if I played anything:
: Moved the turntable as far away from the transformer on my preamp as possible. When it sat directly over the pre, the hum was bad

: Removed the motor and control board from the TT and mounted them on a block of wood attached to a block of granite. This is placed on an isolation platform and then the TT is placed over it. I had to install some quick connects to keep the switch functionality. While I DIYed mine, Michael Linn sells nicely manufactured kits to decouple the motor from the base.

With yours being a brand new TT, I don't think you'd want to try the second part. My P3 is 17 years old, so I didn't mind messing about. Plus, I can return it to stock in approximately half an hour. With the motor removed, though, there is such an outrageously low noise floor, it was well worth it. I think removing the power circuit board from the plinth helped a lot with the hum, and physically decoupling the motor dropped background noise. 

That being said, maybe creating a grounded aluminum shield using HVAC tape is worth a shot, since it seems to be that moving the motor PCB away from the tonearm helped. Though you have the PSU, which introduces a difference that I've not had experience with.

Thanks Les, Steve and Toddverrone. I appreciate everyone's input however the solution to put aluminum foil on a brand new turntable and cartridge at almost $2000 should not be an option. I have seen the video where the guy connects a cable to the ground wire of the PSU. I tried that and nothing changed. Keep in mind that the hum is still there even though the PSU is UNPLUGGED, disconnected from the table. Basically NO ELECTRICITY going anywhere. I plugged the phono preamp power supply on another outlet with an extension cord and far away from the table and  still there. My dealer will be coming by the house to check out the issue in person. He contacted Rega and they said that there is a problem with my equipment (BS).  Thanks for your replies and patience. More to follow. 
Post removed