Big Krells Have Vanished From The Used Market

Once upon a time several years ago, you could always find several of the big Krells for sale on Audiogon.  I'm talking the 500-750 wpc big irons.  Now since Krell no longer makes anything bigger than 500 wpc, anyone with the 600, 700, 900 wpc amps are holding on to them because there's nothing new by Krell to replace them with.
128x128mitch4t
They are few and far between.  I purchased a pair of fpb-750mcx blocks thru Audiogon a year ago (there were 2 sets available at that time - both in Canada) to replace a KSA-300S that wasn't up to the task of being able to properly jam the bass panels on my bi-amped Apogee Divas.  Each Krell has a dedicated 30amp wire; as do each of my Audio Research 610T's (upgraded to run KT120s), which run the highs and mids.  Many probably scratch their noggins over having this much power on hand, but I suspect those folks haven't heard the magic of Divas when properly powered.  My KSA-300S ran really hot and would actually throw its breaker...not surprising for what I was asking it to do.  The 750s do NOT run super hot like that at all, but they are warm.  Of course the tubes on the AR's are giving off considerable heat anyway. Luckily I have a separate Hvac system for my listening room, so it's not an issue for me.  Zero complaints about the big Krells.
Guys, there will never be a better amp made, pound for pound, than the FPBcx series - 300, 400, and 600 WPC. There ARE some that occasionally hit the used market, though agreed considerably less often than even 3-5 years back. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 400cx within the past 6 months and chickened out - ONLY because of the "risk factor" of dealing with costly repairs that I presume WILL eventually be needed. I've been very lucky, knock wood, as a proud owner of a 300 FPB cx since 2001, and couldn't be happier. 

Anyway, I also noticed a 600 FPBcx on the market within the last 6 years. Several in Europe as well but not practical. I love my Krell, and while I've considered jumping into some new power amp, I've decided it's just not sensible to move from known greatness to "who knows?"  I'm holding onto it until it needs service. If and when that day comes I'll move to something else.  
I was the biggest Krell fan and had 3 Krell amps purchased new, KSA100s, FPB 300 and FPB 600.  They were great in the era but can't compete with current offerings.   To tame the harsh and brightness, I always pair them with a tube preamp and MIT cables.

My 1st SS amp after Krell was a $5500 TRL Samson mono and it beats Krell in every area except for bass.   No right or wrong but just my .02
audiolabyrinth4,242 posts04-28-2017 6:01pmWow!, Ridiculous!, I have a modified krell fpb 700cx,  never runs hot because you have to use a single pole 30 amp breaker!, anyone who has a big krell that runs hot does not know what there doing!, as far as class d amp's,  listened to many,  still do not own one,  and yes, I'm holding on to mine for sound reasons,  my unit sounds a lot better than the stock 700cx 😉

Um... The 30 amp breaker has nothing to do with the operating temperature of the amp. Class A amps run hot because they're single ended, ie: output is always on. So, the heat is the result of the current running through the amp. It wouldn't matter if you had a 100 amp breaker (and hopefully the appropriate guage wire in the wall), the amp will still only use what it's going to draw. I'm assuming you've changed the wire to handle the 30 amp current?

I have owned several Krell Amps over the years and have never had an issue with any. My Fpb400cx Amps work wonderfully with my IRS Betas.