Brightest but shortest artistic bursts in the sky

The new thread topic today regarding Artists who maintained the quality of their work for their entire careers brought me back to my realization that many of my favorite albums were made by exactly the opposite type of Artist---the one whose initial burst was the bright, but, alas, short. Here are the ones that spring to mind immediately:

- The Dwight Twilley Band. Their---and I say their because drummer/singer Phil Seymore was atleast as important to the group as was Dwight himself---debut album is unbelievably great. If you haven't hear the Sincerely album, you want to. Phil stayed only for the debut and second album---Twilley Don't Mind, then leaving for a solo career. Twilley needed Seymore as much as Lennon and McCartney needed each other. Dwight had some success as a solo Artist, but his stuff just isn't as good.

- Jellyfish. Only two albums, but oh man are they great. Power Pop of the highest order. Complex harmonies---part Brian Wilson, part Queen, and great musicianship.

- Rockpile. Only one official album, but it contains the playing and singing of pure American Rock 'n' Roll as good as has ever been made. All killer, no filler!

- Moby Grape. Great, incredibly great S/T debut, poor follow-up. Even worse third and fourth albums, then a return to form with the fifth---20 Granite Creek. Then it was over; Skip Spence was sent to the looney bin (acid casualty), bad management and lack of success bringing the band to it's end. By far the best of the San Francisco bands.

- Emitt Rhodes. Emitt spent a year recording what became his S/T debut album, playing every instrument and singing every part in his home studio. One of the greatest Pop albums ever released (it was better than McCartneys solo debut in many peoples---including mine, opinion), it was his only good one. He signed a terrible deal, in which he agreed to provide the label with a second and third album in six month intervals. When he didn't deliver the second on time, the label sued him for breach of contract. He finally gave them a second and third, but the experience soured Emitt on the music business, and he wasn't seen on stage again for a quarter of a century. I was privileged to be part of his band when he finally took the stage again in 1998. Emitt has a recent album which I haven't yet heard.

- Gram Parsons. Gram is just one example of Artists who were done in by their success at a young age. After being brought into The Byrds by bassist Chris Hillman, he lead them into their groundbreaking Sweethearts of the Rodeo album, which pretty much created the Country-Rock genre. He and Chris left to start The Flying Burrito Brothers, playing hardcore Country music. Gram then went solo, making two commercially modest-selling but artistically-influential albums that hold up to this day. Keith Richards liked his stuff a lot, and invited Gram to come over to France where The Stones were living and recording. You can hear Grams influence in Keiths writing and playing of the early 70's. What Gram got from Keith was a taste for heroin, which an overdose of did him in.

These are just a few of the hundred examples available. I'm sure ya'll have your own. 

128x128bdp24
For the collectors of EM (TD, KS, or DerSpyra as the younger follower of Berlin Skool of the genre) here is a tip: "As I Hide" by  Witchcraft. Masterpiece not noticed and the band just disappeared... 

And once I get over my pains re Soft Boys / Robyn Hitchcock I mourn the demise of "Miranda Sex Garden" (don't get me started on Girl's Groups, all my ladies friends say that I'm a chauvinistic Pig!) But these ladies should have been noticed! Now that Joanne Newsom and Lykke Li are in vogue, maybe they have a chance???!!! They sound like acapella singers with Bjork mentality: ultimate test for my hi-end stereo and my sanity!!!

last but not least, Schubert, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky must have gotten a "smile" and extra few decades from The Allah!!! Not so sure about Mozart, he did break the spell of Baroque but I am not so sure he would be able to push it!... Miles could and did, but he also proved that it it is only so far one single genius can push the envelope...
Hit me!!!!!
Steve Miller (Band)

Imho everything after 1970 was execrable....

War
Drivin' N' Cryin'
Mazzy Star
The Black Crowes

The Knack - Seriously, have you seen any other supernova burn out any faster than that? 
And if you want to go with "one and out", Buzzing’ Cousins gets the nod for "Sweet Suzanne". John Mellencamp, Dwight Yoakum, John Prine, Joe Ely and James Mcmurtry recorded "Sweet Suzanne" as the band - Buzzin’ Cousins for the 1992 movie Falling From Grace. They received a CMA Nomination for the song, but never recorded again as Buzzin’ Cousins. This is obviously an Alt-Country/Americana Super Group beyond compare. Good stuff...... for 3 minutes and 35 seconds........

One (song) and out.

Just having a bit of fun guys. I’m not comparing Buzzing’ Cousins to Schubert or even CCR.