Amps Atma-Sphere M-60 Mono blocks OTL design

I just purchased a used OTL Atma-Sphere M-60 mono blocks that I have sent to Atma-Sphere to be upgraded to the current model 3.3 and I also added the option of a higher quality power supply and V caps.

I have sold my old trusted Eggleston Andra 2’s speakers and have built some monitors using Aurum Cantus ribbons (102db) and Aurum Cantus midwoofers (90db) that are both rated as 8 ohm nominal. I have a DEQX Premate and will be crossing over to (2) JL Audio F-113 subs at 80hz.

Currently I am using a solid state high power stereo amp (Pass Labs) that I used with the Andra 2’s.

The Atma-Sphere M-60 is rated at 60 watts class A and is said to work better with higher impedance loads.

It will probably be a few weeks until I get the M-60 and was hoping someone could provide opinions of what to expect.

I listen to late 60 early 70’s classic rock music mostly. Sometimes loud.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Understood. yet people move between OTL and SET with traffic flow and preference moving in both directions. No doubt you have customers who formerly owned SET. SET builders can cite former OTL users as their current customers . These things never move in only one direction.

Charles

These things never move in only one direction.
When I first got started decades ago it took me a while to get used to the fact that people would sell our amps and look for something else.

Over the years though the one thing that has really shown itself over and over again is how successful the initial setup of the amplifier installation actually was. If that was right (meaning: the right speaker load, short speaker cables, a competent preamp and front end to drive it) we found that owners tended to hang on to their gear. I don't know if owning it for decades until death counts, but if it does then the above quote is false.

This is why we developed our update and warranty reactivation policy, so owners of older gear could keep it current.

Ralph,

I am not  disputing that you have very loyal and long term customers at all. I'm merely stating that given the nature of some audiophiles there is always some degree of movement between various choices of components including amplifiers. Tube to solid state, Class A/AB to class D, single chassis to mono blocks and back and forth it goes. Some former OTL owners are now SET owners and certainly the converse is also true.

Charles

@charles1dad , I think you might misunderstand. People hang on to their equipment, sometimes for life **regardless of the equipment**. To say that it "never goes one way" as you did earlier must be seen by a reasonable person as incorrect. That's all.

I was simply illustrating from personal experience that this is so.

The most common theme I hear when people actually tell me why they sell our gear (the second most common theme being they bought speakers our amps won't drive) is that they are downsizing or simplifying their setup (although its unclear what the latter means; if simplifying the signal path, the only amps I know of that have a simpler signal path are the First Watt DIY amps which have a single output transistor as the sole aspect of the signal path). As tube amps go we only have one gain stage which is about as simple as it can get.