Capacitance loading and fixed coil cartridges

Hi all.  I am looking at all the various models of Soundsmith cartridges and seeing three different output levels, 2.12 mV, 1.1 mV and 0.4mV). I happen to have a low output version. I was wondering if anyone knew if the ideal amount of capacitance applied by the phono preamp (and phono cable) was dependent on the cartridge output?  In other words, higher output MM and MI cartridges require more capacitance and lower output cartridges less capacitance. Is this on track? How does inductance play a role here?  

-Karl
128x128karl_desch
Its a matter of power. If you have a low output cart, you need a more powerful phono preamp, or a SUT. Most phono preamps that are rated for MC use, shouldn't have any problems driving a low output cart. For the other settings, just set them to whatever they recommend in the manual for the cart.
Thanks sfall, my question is not about how to deal with low output from a gain perspective but rather if low output fixed coil cartridges need a little capacitance unlike low output MC.  I use a phono pre that has no problem with gain or resistive loading (Pass XP-15) but not sure what to set for capacitance.  Here is the relevant section from the cartridge manual which doesn't really answer the question, but of course I understand that it all comes down to listening preferences.

"The new Zephyr MIMC Star requires a MINIMUM RESISTIVE LOAD of 470 Ohms, with best loading determined by your system and your listening preferences. Usually, this is between 470 and 1000 Ohms. There is no harm in using a 47K typical MM load, but you may experience a peaked high end. Capacitive loading may reduce that effect somewhat to a satisfactory degree. Again, loading requirements will be determined by your system, and your personal listening preferences. PLEASE NOTE that loading well below 470 Ohms will result in loss of high frequencies."

Does this mean at proper resistive loading, I don't need to add capacitance? Just trying to learn more about cartridge electronics, otherwise I would just email Soundsmith.

-Karl
@karl_desch
I’m pretty sure Soundsmith is like Grado. They are non sensitive to capacitive load. Give them a call just to make sure that this is correct!
Karl,

For MC, as low a capacitance as is possible is preferred. See below:
http://www.extremephono.com/Loading.htm
http://sound.whsites.net/articles/cartridge-loading.html

I would suppose that your tonearm wire and interconnect would produce about 100pf shunt capacitance, so maybe set the Pass at the minimum or no additional capacitance and adjust loading to suit.

Best / Paul.