7.1 HT under about 3k

May look to upgrade my current low-end Onkyo HT receiver. Would like to keep the price in the 2-3k range and don't mind used.

Stereo audio quality very important as this doubles as our audio system.

So far the Krell Showcase, Aragon Stage 1, and possibly the Krell HTS all look interesting, I'm not really familiar with all the others.

Also looking at the Totem Arro or Schweikert VR2 for front channel speakers (speaker budget separate). Will feed the audio primarily with a squeezebox3 into an outboard dac.

Not knowing any better, but the Onkyo I have now actually sounds pretty darn good to me (part of a 1000w 7.1 HTIB system), so I'm really looking forward to a step up.

Thanks!
joncourage
Hi !

Look I had a 7.1 and thought everything was wonderful, but a friend of mine let me see his 5.1, and I was impressed, I would say go for the 5.1 now, spend more money on the speakers and the budget that you have for the amp-pre is very good second hand, I bought here a couple of times and the people who likes this takes very good care of his equipment.
I have Adcom GFA 5500 (3 of 3X200 W) and Theta Casanova (and costed me all together 2.500), and for the money is very good, in the home theater I have Parasound C1 and A1. There is difference, but not that much.
I insist go for the 5.1 and upgrade later, no movies with 7.1, try taking the surround speaker a little bit farther away and if you like the sound that envolves you and have room buy bipolar, but do not spend that much money on them, Axiom and Polk Audio have it on about 400US$ heard them both and are great.
Javierschmidt,

I would agree that starting with 5.1, and then expanding to 7.1 as budget allows can be a good approach. But the fact that there are no movies in 7.1 should not be a factor in making a decision on whether to go 7.1 for the objective system. Logic 7 and listening in 7.1 has been around for awhile. The advent of DPLIIx makes a similar capabilty more widely available.

When running in 7.1 with 5.1 sources, for example, Logic 7 doesn't add anything to the information in the 2 surround channels. It redistributes the surround information across 4 surround speakers rather than 2. The redistribution is a dynamic process based on signal content, not a fixed parameter. With 4 surround speakers, the system can have sounds come from behind the listener, or beside the listener, or any combination. That's more difficult to do with only 2 surround speakers.

Joncourage,
If you are undecided on 7.1 and committing to a PrePro/Receiver with DPLIIx/Logic 7, I suggest trying to find a properly set up 7.1 system and listening for yourself. You should be able to toggle between 5.1 and 7.1, and then you can decide which you prefer.

Thanks
Bruce
Lots of good advice here. I think that the 2 extra speakers in the back that turns your system from 5.1 to 7.1 should be viewed as "complementary." In your system, they are least important by a very very long stretch. So do not spend money getting two extra speakers if it means cutting somewhere else in your system.

Joncourage, I might be missing something here, do you plan to use the amps in the Onkyo?
Bruceomega, you are right. The thing is that depends as well on the room dimensions, the room that i Have with 5.1 is w 16.5 and 20 feet l.
For me 7.1 in this room makes no sense due to the closeness of the speakers, and my budget, he, he, he.
Joncourage, if you want to buy it perfect, but really go first with a good 5.1 (7.1 processor) and then add with time and money the two extra speakers and the amp
Javierschmidt,

FWIW, my 7.1 set up is in a room which is approximately 13' x 17' x 9.5'. Both my side speakers and rear speakers are about 7' away from the primary listening position (they're suspended from the ceiling, pointing down and toward the listening position). My intuition says that is a bit close, but my room layout doesn't provide any flexibility. Fortunately, it works.

There are times when 7.1 is not a good choice, or even impossible such as when the listening position is flush against the rear wall where you don't have room behind you to place the rear speakers. AFAIK, room size itself should not be a determining factor, but room layout can be, just as the cost of an additional two channels can be.

Cheers
Bruce