7.1 HT under about 3k

May look to upgrade my current low-end Onkyo HT receiver. Would like to keep the price in the 2-3k range and don't mind used.

Stereo audio quality very important as this doubles as our audio system.

So far the Krell Showcase, Aragon Stage 1, and possibly the Krell HTS all look interesting, I'm not really familiar with all the others.

Also looking at the Totem Arro or Schweikert VR2 for front channel speakers (speaker budget separate). Will feed the audio primarily with a squeezebox3 into an outboard dac.

Not knowing any better, but the Onkyo I have now actually sounds pretty darn good to me (part of a 1000w 7.1 HTIB system), so I'm really looking forward to a step up.

Thanks!
joncourage
Unless you're totally sure that you don't want/can't fit the center rear channels, I will not get a receiver/processor that doesn't do 7.1 processing. If you've got the room, for movies encoded with a 6th or 7th channel, having that 6th or 7th channel is definitely a more pleasurable experience.

With that said, the rear centers have very little information and so I definitely won't worry too much about it. I would use the funds to build the best 5.1 system you can. You can pretty much throw any old speaker in the back and it'll still improve your experience IMO. Timbre matching is really not needed for those rear centers, although obviously, having speakers that match the rest of your system will make a subtle difference. So you can always add those rear centers as budget permits.
Joncourage,

7.1 provides a much more enveloping surround environment than 5.1. I've tried both, and am firmly committed to 7.1. I think you are making the right decision to go with a 7.1 PrePro/Receiver, as long as it has DPLIIx and/or Logic 7. (Note, DPLII is only 5.1, DPLIIx is 7.1).

The number of speakers does not have to match the number of channels in the source material. For example, both DPLIIx and Logic 7 do an excellent job of spatially redistributing the 2 surround channels in 5.1 sources to the 4 surround speakers of 7.1. They don't create information, just redistribute it. These processing modes work with various sources, so you always have the option to listen in 7.1 independent of input format.

I would avoid 6.1. I would also look at the suggested speaker placement diagrams on the Dolby web site for a 7.1 set up; e.g., you do not want rear speakers placed in the center of the back of the room.

Thanks
Bruce
I would avoid 6.1. I would also look at the suggested speaker placement diagrams on the Dolby web site for a 7.1 set up; e.g., you do not want rear speakers placed in the center of the back of the room.

7.1 is better than 6.1 but 6.1 is better than 5.1 if you're watching Star Wars or something. Also, he actually might want rear speakers placed in the center (or near center spread out a bit) of the back of the room. Check out the suggested speaker placement diagrams on the THX web site. They recommend something different from Dolby. Just so you know, there are different ways to set up your system.
This shouldn't really be a big deal. Aragon STage One feeding some used 5-7channels of amplification, used, at under $1500 for amp, and $1500 for pre should not be a problem. You could also go Anthem AVM20 used at $1500 range maybe, and I'm sure others. $3k should be easy on the "used market" for separates
Howie,

Interesting, I had never looked at the THX web site for speaker placement suggestions. My comment on not going 6.1/not placing rear speaker(s) in the center of the back wall was to avoid possible front to back image reversal. There are a lot of postings on this at avsforum.

I also noticed on the THX web site their speaker placement suggestions seem to be for THX ASA and THX EX processing. I was recommending going with DPLIIx and/or Logic 7.

Thanks
Bruce