Plasma 42 inch ....

My Panasonic 42 inch was stolen recently .

At the time I bought the Panasonic(about 1 year ago ..) it was the best choice,considering performance vs price.

Looking at a new 42 inch.Any comments regarding the best buy currently ...?

Thanks
bluebull
The 2 42 HD Fujitsu models MRSP are at 6000 and 7000 dollars. WE are actually in a model switch right now where you can get either. The Fujitsu 42 ED offering is at 5000 MSRP.

The Panny 42 inch HD is at 2499. The Panny ED is at 1500.
These are for the commercial displays. The Panny 42 HD has a couple of problems IMHO. I do note that the Panny 50 HD is at 3000, well below the price of Fujitsu 42 inch displays.

Panny black levels do measure the best, but I agree that overall the Fujitsu still has a slight edge in PQ. The difference in price isnt really justified relative to the difference in PQ however. It really isnt gonna matter down the road. Fujitsu sees a very limited restrictive distribution and that in combination with pricing makes it a minor and diminishing player for plasmas. They source their glass from Panasonic or Hitachi ( I think they switched in 2005).
I bought a 43" Pioneer Elite Pro920 around 4 months ago and finally put it up during thanksgiving week. I would have to say I'm very proud of that tv. The picture is amazing with the 6 local HD channels I get and its pretty much just as amazing playing dvd's with the pioneer 59 dvd player. I really dont think that you will be disappointed buying this tv.

Also too bad that your either not in california or didnt know about The GoodGuys going out of business sell. They had some brand new ones that were going for $4K. I was actually very happy with the deal I got at The GoodGuys acouple months before they said they were going out of business. I haggled them down to $4500 and got the $500 rebate from pioneer. So I basically paid $4K.

Good luck in your decision.

Also FYI. If your going to wall mount it check ebay and hold out for a good deal. I bought a brand new Omnimount tilt for $45 shipped. Thats way better then bestbuy for $300.
My father is looking to pick up a new TV, an a thinner @ 42" is probably a good bet for him. He is very concerned about off-axis viewing, and plasma seems like a good bet, here. But are there any valid concerns regarding burn-in or longevity?

Thanks, Tom.
Wanted to finnish up with the comment about the Panasonic Onyx series brought up by another poster. The Onyx was a failed attempt by panasonic to introduce a more expensive line largely based on cosmetics. They use 7th generation technology only and arent made anymore. They are on clearance everywhere at steep discounts. The new Pioneers and Hitachis are better displays at a lesser price, as is the newer 8th generation Panasonic Plasmas.

There are certain websites that give bad info on plasmas; not sure where the side by side Onyx is better comment came from-- but its a technical impossibility unless the comparative neer panasonic is poorly calibrated.