Too Much Power?

I have a question that relates to the maximum power output of new Bel Canto Ref 600M monoblocks, which I am considering to replace the Audio Research 150.2 SS amp I am currently using in my main system. (Yes I am another of the "lunatic fringe" who enjoys the results of good quality Class D.)

The Ref 600Ms are  based on a Hypex Ncore module, and are stated to produce a maximum power output each of 300W into 8 ohms.  My question  is whether this can prove to be a problem in powering my Focal Alto Utopia Be speakers, which are stated to have a "maximum" power handling capacity of 250W each (their nominal impedance being 8 ohms).

I listen to mostly classical instrumental and vocal music and other acoustic instrumental music, and do not listen at particularly loud levels:  the ARC 150.2 is rated at 150W per channel into 8 ohms and it has never in 10 years appeared to go even close to its limits; I rarely if ever  turn up the volume control on my ARC LS-25 past the 11:00 o'clock position.

Should I be concerned about the Bel Cantos damaging the Utopias, given the speakers' 250W per channel maximum capacity and the 300W per channel output potential of these amps?  The Be tweeter and other components of these speakers can be very expensive to have to repair, not to mention the inconvenience and aggravation which I really do not need. 

Thanks in  advance for any thoughts or advice on this.

northernfox
Giudo:  With Bel Canto Ref 600Ms ( or with Merrill Thors) I am looking at around $4,500-$5,000 stated price per pair.  I did briefly consider Merrill Veritas;  but at the stated price of $12,000 per pair, I really doubt Veritas would provide enough upside difference for my situation to justify over  double the cost.  

Steve
Hi northernfox,

At your budget you also may want to consider the D-Sonic M3-1500-M mono-blocks.  Here's a rave review from 6Moons of the M2-1500-M which are the exact same amps as the M3 per D-Sonic owner Dennis Deacon.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dsonic/1.htmll

The power may not be needed given your speakers but they also offer the M3-600-M which are 600/1,200 watts at 8/4 ohms.  I own a pair of these and they're the best amps I've ever used on my older Magnepan 2.7qr speakers that are 4 ohms.

Here's a comparison

M3-1500-M  ($1,375 each, $2,750/pr) 1,500 watts into 8 ohms

M3-600-M  ($1,075 each, $2,150/pr)   600 watts into 8 ohms

Both offer 3 week in-home trials.

Here's their website:

http://www.d-sonic.net/products/mono/

Sorry, never heard the Bel Canto Ref 600 or the Merrill Thors so I can't compare to the D-Sonics.  I do know the D-Sonics are high-end performance at reasonable prices.

Good luck,
  Tim
northernfox
As I tried to outlined in my first post Steve, with these Utopia Be speakers, you need current more that watts, as they are 92db efficient 100watts at 8ohm will do.
But with that 2 ohms and 3ohms in the bass you need current, so when it hits those loads you will have close to 400watts available, if you pick the right amp, KRELL like power, look for amps that almost double their 8ohm wattage  to 4ohms and double again down to 2ohms

Cheers George
Most people have no idea about the properties of an amp, source, cable, loudspeaker etc.

This is essential to understand why the stage and sound is what you hear.

Your ’older’ speakers are able to create a deep and wide stage. But.....you need an amp and source who can do the same.

The Bel Canto is not an amp what can build a deep and wide stage. I would never go for an amp like this. Not even for free. I would never give my clients this advice.

3-dimensional sound is the most exiting part in audio to create an addictive stage.

I would go for a Pass or for an older Krell amp. You will get all the properties you need. Audio Research their amps are inferior to the ones I just mentioned. Based on their properties they are incomplete.

In my world Audio Research is not a highend brand. For a high level in highend you need a wider and deeper stage. When we audition AR amps they never are able to create the stunning level Pass labs can give you.

The have more a sound than diversity in sound. Diversity is the most important part to create emotion for us human beings. The Pass shows more layers in sound. This is very important for the emotion and realism in sound.

Hi Northernfox, one option, somewhat less expensive than Veritas, are the Theta Prometheus monos. Like Veritas they are based on the full NCore NC1200 modules, but instead of the NC1200/700 SMPS, Theta has designed its own power supply... I believe it be a toroidal design. Unless things have changed, Prometheus may be priced at $9K / pair.

I have not tried them... Given the different power supply design, they are bound to sound a little different from Veritas, but I do not know if I would necessarily prefer one over the other.

Saluti, G.